Saturday, November 19, 2005

...later that same day

Holy crap! Christmas is almost here and I am SO not ready. November is supposed to be my "buffer" month. You know...the month where you work all the kinks out of the holidays with solid planning and anal-retentive organization? Lists, lists and more lists? Yet, I have squandered this month and I can't quite figure out how I've done it. Still...there it is. Thanksgiving is next week and lights are already going up around our neighborhood. Pumpkins are rotting on the front porch and I haven't purchased one gift or looked at one catalog.

November is also the month where you decide if you'll be creative with your Christmas cards or just totally cave to convenience and get something cheesy and uninspiring from the Hallmark store. Year after year I stand in the store trying to find something worth sending. Perhaps the picture is sweet, but the sentiment inside is trite. Or the message is meaningful, but the outside is hideous. Possibly, the card is perfect! Ideal! But there's only one box of 18 and I need five more boxes.

Two Christmases in a row, several years ago, I decided I would just make my own. I designed the front and made up my own sentiment inside. I took them to a printer and had them make what I needed--plus a couple of extra. It was the best decision I ever made and, had I been thinking clearly, I might have done it again. But I didn't, and I probably won't. And don't get me started on the fact that no one has taken the picture of the kids that goes INSIDE the card.

Please...someone tell me they feel as overwhelmed as I do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Oh I'm so with you on this. Pretty much no gifts bought, and it's my first year not being able to just sign the card for whatever my mom bought for the rest of the family. Luckily my dad's side doesn't exchange gifts, so I only have ten adults and nine kids to buy for. Considering I normally have the perfect presents picked out in June, I'm fahREAKING out. Oh, and did I mention I'm broke? Urg.

10:26 PM  
Blogger snaps79 said...

I'm broke, too. I only have to buy for two parents and two grandma's. Maybe some neat little surprises here and there for friends, but who knows.

I send out a kick ass Xmas card every year - I'm thinking I'll be sending 80 out this year. If you email me your addy, I'll put ya on the list. But, then you have to send me one, too. :)
m_mck_gill@hotmail.com

11:21 AM  
Blogger john boy said...

Christmas? What's that? I'm still in denial ;)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Yes. We are renovating the house, and we are not sure how much time we will have more Christmas this year. Plus, the year is a rough one for us.

A cousin and her husband always made their own cards, but they were basic. A black drawn design on white paper with a sentiment inside. The design was always different, and my mother saved every card.

My wife has told me we won't be able to put up a Christmas tree because of the painting, but I have threatened to put it up in the basement.

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home