Sunday, November 27, 2005

Random and Probably Useless: Part One

1) I'm really into the show "Grey's Anatomy", but the voiceover commentary by the Meredith character is becoming mildly irritating.

2) We decided that when our sons' need to know the truth about Santa Claus was clearly more intense/important (constant questions were a big clue) than their need to "believe", we would tell them how it really was. Consequently, all our kids knew the truth before their 10th birthdays and no one seems to have suffered any permanent scarring.

3) I had my palm read many years ago, and with the exception of one thing, everything has come true. I still don't quite understand it.

4) I find Alfred Hitchcock's movies oddly comforting and will often play them to hear the familiar dialog while I paint.

5) I can't watch "Extreme Home Makeover" or "Three Wishes" without crying like a big sap.

6) The episode of "I Love Lucy" where she can't tell a lie for 24 hours is one of my favorites.

7) My husband bought me a DeWalt cordless drill for Mother's Day to use on my artwork. It is still one of my favorite gifts.

8) There are no pictures on my blog yet because I'm apparently too dim to figure out how to make that happen.

9) Cartoonist Gary Larson's wife is an anthropologist. Now, it all makes sense.

10) I'm thinking about wallpapering our back bathroom in old New Yorker magazine covers.

11) OJ did it.

12) My first job was in a souvenir stand at Six Flags Over Texas. I was working in the balloon shed blowing up balloons on the day the radio announced that Elvis died.

13) I used to be an English teacher. People who confuse when to use the word "laying" and when to use "lying" bug me.

14) "Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints" should be our national slogan.

15) I once did a phone interview with Dr. Maya Angelou for the local alternative paper. She told me that "allowing a man to determine genius in a woman is like letting the fox guard the hen house". I thought that was brilliant.

16) A big thanks to Nilbo ("Truths and Half Truths") for adding me to his blogroll. It's always nice to be wanted.

13 Comments:

Blogger karla said...

The sole reason I can't watch Grey's Anatomy is that irritating voiceover. It's what I hated about Sex in the City (which is otherwise a decent show), but somehow it's more grating on Grey's Anatomy. My husband loves the show, and I can't be in the room when it's on. Too bad, because the storyline actually sounds okay to me, I just can't take the sappy "life's lessons" bullshit in the voiceover.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I keep hearing that show is great, but manipulative. I have becom a big cryer in recent years, so I'm reluctant to give it a go.

Maybe in the summer reruns.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I was thinking last week I wish it were just "Anatomy" and Grey could go f off. Her little purse-y lips and the whining voice-over. But still. I like the rest of it too much.
Yes, Mrs. H, manipulative. I cried last week when the guy died. And the previous two weeks during the Required Crying Moments.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Monique said...

I had my palm read a few years ago... she told me I would make my fortune writing. I'm still waiting... LOL

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Allie said...

#2 - No one has ever told me the truth about Santa. I am now 21.
#3 - I had my tea leaves read and the only thing that has yet to come true is that I haven't given birth to twins.
#13 - Confusing "than" and "then" is equally annoying to me.

7:39 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

I used to date a guy who said "pacific" when he meant "specific".

I. AM. NOT. KIDDING.

"Grey's Anatomy" stunk again tonight.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Thanks for your nice comment on my site. I agree OJ did it. We are in big trouble if you were an English teacher, I am infamous for my typos. Do you hire out to fix the spelling and thesaurusly challenged?

9:44 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

No worries. After I was a teacher, I became a writer. I haven't written without an editor since 1991. Thanks for stopping by.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Nilbo said...

Worse then (nod to Allie) "laying" or "lying"? Oh, its those people who refuse to put the apostrophe in it's proper place.

As a writer of stories, I'm offended by the cheap narration device in Grey's Anatomy. It's a shortcut to avoid having to actually SHOW what the character is doing or thinking through dialogue or action, and it's just plain lazy writing. I think you recognize that, subconsciously, and that's what bothers you.

I am a complete skeptic, and yet I have had uncannily accurate Tarot readings. "There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamed of in [our] philosophies".

You are a welcome addition to my blogroll.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

15. I think anybody can be a mentor though.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Jon Deal said...

I can't get the lay/lie thing right EVER. I know one of them takes an object, but I can't ever keep it straight which one. I will usually try and change what I have to say in order to avoid using one of those words.

My English usage pet peeve is folks mixing up "good" and "well."

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2) We decided that when our sons' need to know the truth about Santa Claus was clearly more intense/important (constant questions were a big clue) than their need to "believe", we would tell them how it really was. Consequently, all our kids knew the truth before their 10th birthdays and no one seems to have suffered any permanent scarring.

This year, my nephew, who is 4, told his mother that he had some questions he thought he'd ask Santa. Including whether or not the jolly old elf knew his name. Stacy successfully mangaged to steer him toward, "What kind of cookies do you like?" but we're not sure if the magic will last much longer.

2:09 PM  
Blogger MoMMY said...

I'm afraid you must avoid my blog. I'm one of those annoying people who don't know the correct usage of laying vs lying. I get it wrong EVERY TIME. Even though I've looked it up a gazillion times.

Love your blog though. Glad you left a comment on mine. Thanks for that - my favorite way to find new blogs.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home