Thursday, December 22, 2005

I'm Dreaming...

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY 2006!

I think I believed in Santa until I was about 10 1/2 years old. Maybe 11. Little things here and there were starting to add up for me, and I was suspicious, but I was also incredibly naive. Tragically naive. Way more naive than kids today. I was an ALL DAY SUCKER. Here's an example:

When I was about nine years old, I asked Santa for a guitar. I didn't know how to play a guitar. No one in our family knew how to play a guitar. I don't think I was asking for lessons...just the instrument. Most likely, I just wanted something that looked and sounded...sorta...like the real thing. Anyway, Christmas morning I attacked my pile of gifts the way a shark goes after chum. Right there, in all of its glory, was a guitar. Now, the stuff we opened on Christmas Eve was from Mom and Dad, but Christmas morning belonged completely to Santa. I picked it up and noticed that the area where the tuning keys are found had a word engraved on it. That word was SEARS. I said, "Hey! Why does my guitar from Santa have Sears on it?" And our father, the man who would tolerate nothing but the unvarnished truth from our lips said (very quickly), "That's the name of the elf who made it." I believed him. Completely.

I'll be checking on you guys here and there, but I'm going to take off a few days and wrap presents and visit with family. Shrinking Violet and I might meet up and, if we do, she is going to show me how to add a blogroll to my site, so I can send out some linky love to all the people out there who make the blog life such a pleasure.

Be safe and...whatever and however you choose to celebrate during the next week (Christmas, Hanukkah...), I hope your time with family and friends brings you back to the blogosphere relaxed and refreshed. Take care!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Jon Deal said...

An elf named "Montgomery Ward" also made me stuff for Christmas one year. "Sears" makes better stuff, I hear. He must concentrate more, I guess.

3:45 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Sounds like how I figured out Santa was actually my mom: the doll left under the tree for me had a 'Sears' tag sticking off of its rear. It dawned on me that Santa probably didn't shop at Sears.

Have a great holiday. :)

6:59 PM  
Blogger Nilbo said...

Wow .. Sears made MY guitar, too. Dude was good!

Merry Christmas, darlin' ...

7:19 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Have a very happy holiday - christmas, new year's all that fun stuff. :) and say hello to Shrinking Violet for me! :)

8:13 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Sears, lol, that was some quick thinking on your father's part.

I have no idea how I found out about Santa. I think my brother, who is 2 years younger than I am, had to tell me.

Enjoy your time off.

9:00 PM  
Blogger MoMMY said...

I don't remember my awakening to the facts about Santa but I've been forcing my 11 year old (and the rest of the kids) to believe since he was 5-ish. The old - if you don't believe Santa, he won't bring you gifts - thing really works. That and the movie The Santa Clause do wonders for the belief system.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Your Dad is awesome! *Chuckles* Sears... I'm storing that one in the bank for when I have kids. Have a great holiday!!

6:00 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

I asked for a guitar one year when I was six. I got a Tiny Tim sized version that probably came from Sears too but I loved that thing.

Have a wonderful holiday Wordgirl and share some cheer with Shrinking Violet for me!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Wait a minute...does this mean that Lord & Taylor ISN'T the name of Santa's law firm???

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sears as the name of an Elf, wow, your dad was quick on his feet! I hope you have a wonderful and happy holiday!

Kestrel

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An Elf named Sears: what a fabulously messed-up memory. It's amazing the things that enrich our lives -- even when we think we are being robbed. God bless your father's crazy humour.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

LOVE Sears the Elf! :D
Merry Merry!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Are you going to show a digital photo of the finished fireplace?

9:52 AM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

Yes...soon.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home