Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Five Weird Things About Me: A Meme

Mignon is tagging everyone with this meme. It's better than most.

1. The tragedy that is my calendar (left). I'm a huge paper hog. I should just record whatever info is on a scrap of paper and then toss it, but I don't. I have loose papers, envelopes and sticky notes, stuck in my daytimer. Maybe it's because I'm forced to remember everything for everyone here (okay...Mr. Half keeps an awesome calendar) and it has fragmented my brain. My office is the same. Loose phone numbers, e-mail addresses, cryptic notes that no longer make sense. I'm a lost cause here.


2. If I am reading something really good, I start to panic if I don't have a backup book. That's a book I can segue to quickly without being stuck with nothing to read. I have to hit the bookstore and troll around until I find something. My secret fear is being bored with nothing to read.

3. I'm a little superstitious about numbers. If I go to the store to buy apples, I have to buy at least 5. Why? Because there are 5 people in our family and something makes me feel uneasy about not having one apple to represent each person in the house. It's like I'm afraid that, if something happens to one of them, I'll later blame the fact that I only bought 4 apples. 3 is okay, since that's how many kids we have. It's a little crazy, but it's not as though I'm licking light switches or tapping my teeth 20 times before I eat.

4. I'm less patient when women cry than I am when men do. Don't ask me why. I rarely let my kids see me cry and I think it's because I'm afraid they'll think I'm weak. Mr. Half can cry while reading a sad story in the paper and I find it very endearing. I get a little put out when women do...though it's okay for the really tragic stuff.

5. Rooms without lamplight depress me. Rooms that utilize only overhead lights are extremely upsetting . I need lamplight in the corners to "soften" things up a little, and I feel as though I can't breathe right without it. Classrooms, offices, whatever. We went to a party recently and there wasn't one single room in the house that wasn't functioning off of a two-bulb overhead ceiling light and I absolutely HATED IT. It looks institutional

BONUS: I can tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue.

16 Comments:

Blogger mrtl said...

"It's a little crazy, but it's not as though I'm licking light switches or tapping my teeth 20 times before I eat." - Ha! Did you watch that Dr. Phil, too?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Totally with you on #2. I'm a book hoarder for that reason. I have stacks and stacks in corners, on shelves, and off the counter. Even with that many books, I break out in jitters when I finish one, afraid nothing I have will sound good enough to start.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Totally with you on #2. I also start to get a little sad when I realize the end is near and I won't get to spend any more time with the characters.

(Tink tagged me earlier and I need to do this too...may be tough to get it down to five though...)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Oh my god...Tink and I must have been typing at the same time and we said THE EXACT SAME THING! :)

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Spamboy said...

I am old-school when it comes to calendars also: it has to be on paper, spiral-bound, with pockets to hold various scraps, letters, post-its, and miscellaney. If you've never used one of these, I'd recommend an Uncalendar. I've used these since my UNT days, and it allows artsy people like me to break free of the boundaries and make really dynamic calendars/to-dos/etc.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Abe Froman said...

I never realized that about lamp light, but I really think you're right. I like rooms with lamps better too. Too bad that I don't have any lamps in my house, except the one in my bedroom and I love to keep that turned on at night.

1:30 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Yet another chiming in with agreeance on #2. I hoard books and mid-way through a book I start thinking about the next one I'll read. I always have a stockpile of books to read and if push comes to shove I'll start re-reading a book if I don't have anything new to read.

And tying a cherry stem in a knot? Totally hot.

1:31 PM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

So if you buy five apples, and then you're the first to eat one, do you have to actually eat two so that there will be three left? And if you want one after there's only three left, do you have to eat all of them? Just wondering...

About lamps, my husband grew up in a cave. He's always trying to get me to buy 40 watt bulbs instead of 100 watt (he rarely gets his way on that...I like light). My mom's the same way. Her house is so dark that my sister has threatened to start bringing her own lamp when she visits.

Can you post instructions on how to do the cherry-stem thing? It sounds like a great party trick!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

I can do the cherry stem thing too.

I am right with you about lamps - have always been that way. Lamps in the dorm room, lamps at home - in fact I have lamps in by office -I always say I'm not really moved in to a new job until I have my desk lamp on.

In fact got a new Tiffany lamp for Christmas this year - which will replace that old green banker's lamp I have had since college.

And D will tell you - absolute paperhog. Well we know - it has to really be lead scraping paper.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous TB said...

Your calendar looks just like mine. And I have an address book that could be its twin.

5:57 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

GG- What matters is the number I start out with. I don't try to maintain the number.

mrtl- Did not see the Dr. Phil show, but David Sedaris used to lick light switches.

brooke- Same here...I really have way more than five odd things about me.

Rock- You had a totally awesome dorm room. I remember.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Would you cry in front of your kids if you had girls? I tried it once to see what effect it would have on my daughter (I was 8 months pregnant and needed to bawl for some reason). She kept doing this nervous laughter and would leave the room if I came into it. I probably would have done the same thing if I saw a bawling whale coming after me too.
And I like your chaos calender. It looks colorful (although I have to say that's what prompted my junk drawer photo!).

8:37 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

I can honestly say that I'd feel the same way if I had girls. Probably more, because I'm aware of how much MORE critical teenage girls are of their mothers than are teenaged boys. I'm the oldest of three daughters and my mother was/is a crier. When things are sad, it's understandable, but I guess I'm talking about all the other times. Mom would get mad at us and then cry. Or get her feelings hurt and then cry. And I always equated it with the female victim in every slasher film where she's running from the killer and then she falls down. We'd be in the middle of having "words" and she would cry and it drove me insane. It totally derailed the conversation and rational resolution became impossible. It's not so much that way any more, though.

I know women who use that as a manipulative device and, as the only woman in a house of men, I'm on guard NOT to look like the stereotypical female. By doing so, I know I'm limiting myself in major ways, and the older I get the more I realize how much I paint myself into a corner with my own expectations. But that's another post. Or maybe two posts.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Will you teach me the cherry-stem trick at B-List Blog Chicks '06? If you don't, I'll cry....

6:01 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Yes! I am signing up for the cherry trick break out session at the conference! That is totally hot!

I must confess...when I am reading a book that I am in love with I start reading slower cuz I don't want to sever my relationship with these characters. And I hoard.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Daphne said...

I admire each and every one of you who plans ahead with the book thing. I am left bereft every time. BEREFT, I tell you. I race to the end, loving the book, and then am left with the end page. And I'll look at the introduction and read the author bio and (maybe) the blurbs and then I'm lost. Lately I have had this problem with knitting as well: I am furiously working to finish something and then poof! It's done! and I have nothing I can take on the bus with me. (Bus knitting has limitations that sofa knitting absolutely does not.)

Now that you mention the apple thing, I'm totally going to be that way. I can see that. Not now, but later.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home