Thursday, January 05, 2006

Random and Useless, Part II


1. One of my favorite movies is Barry Levinson's "Diner". I like everything about it. The setting, the diverse characters, the actors who play them, and the dialogue. This is mostly a movie about guys, and though I do think women are the better communicators in real life (and they do it more frequently), I wish that we participated in the kind of banter that is evident here. Sometimes talking is just talking and not about feelings. I would like to have another male cat and name him Modell, after Paul Reiser's character.

2. The picture at left is of one end of my office. If you took a CAT-SCAN of my brain, the inside would probably a lot look like this, too.

3. I hate coffee. It smells okay, but it tastes nasty. In college, I stayed awake by ingesting massive amounts of Dr. Pepper, chocolate and No-Doz. One semester, during finals , I studied by pulling three all-nighters during test week. By the day of the last final, I was wired and brain dead. I took my final ( I think I scored a 20 on it) and then fell over a trashcan in A&M's Memorial Student Center. I haven't had a No-Doz since.

4. One of the first ideas for this blog's title was "Lather, Rinse & Repeat". In my real life shampooing escapades, I don't "repeat" all that often.

5. At my kindergarten graduation, all the boys were supposed to bow to the priest upon receiving a diploma. All the girls were supposed to curtsy. Personally, I think the curtsy requires a little more coordination than bowing, but that's another post. One by one, I watched the girls in my class do this thing that seemed increasingly confusing to me. When it was my turn, I took my diploma, turned on my heel and went back to my seat. I ended up being the only girl in the class who didn't perform that stupid gesture. For years I banked on the notion that I was an early feminist who refused to do such a ridiculous thing before a mere male. In reality, I had just forgotten how.

11 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Love Diner. Hate coffee. Kindred spirits!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

You have an office. I'm jealous. My office is my wireless ancient laptop and wherever the baby has run off to.

I love your blog. Thanks for the linkage. I'll do the same. :)

8:39 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

Love Diner. Love coffee. Took No-Doz once in college and thought I was having a heart attack.

Love your office. It looks comfortable!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Sometimes I repeat, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I shampoo with Creme of Nature, in which case I always repeat. That stuff is amazing.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

I love the high ceiling in your office.
Whenever I take No-Doz, my head gets all itchy and I feel like I'm going to crawl out of my own skin through one of my ears. No matter how much coffee I drink, that never happens.

And that kindergarten story is priceless! I choose to believe you were a five year old Gloria Steinam.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Great office! I love the inspirational things tacked up on the wall. BTW: Is that a picture of Mr. Rogers?! I don't know if I could take him staring at me all day like that. hehe

8:32 AM  
Blogger Abe Froman said...

I haven't seen Diner in a long time.

I love coffee, I can drink it all day long.

My office is boring. Actually my office also serves as Gus' bedroom (my dog) and I only have one picture up on the wall. Its a framed newspaper article.

The title of that article is: "Thomas Wolfe Comes Home Again."

1:44 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I don't understand the point of the "repeat" unless it's just to sell more shampoo by having its consumers use more shampoo. Unless it's crappy shampoo, shouldn't your hair by clean after the first go 'round?
And I, too, love your office. I went to belly up to your desk with big hot mug of coffee (sorry!) and git to it!

1:53 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

I'm jealous of your office. I have a corner in the family room; my desk has Cheerios and crusted milk spilled on it. And I have to share it with my husband.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

Just for the record Diner was great for many reasons but one of which was because it was shot in Baltimore, MD (my home 2nd through 4th grade) and als home to my sports impressionable years. You lived the Orioles and Colts (who were beyond legendary status back then). The part of taking the local sports quiz I think is priceless.

I think most, if not all, of Barry Levinson's films were shot in his beloved hometown.

After leaving in 1967 I did not go back until 1995 - and that is another post.

3:25 PM  
Blogger theyellowwallpaper said...

Awwww...I couldn't live without my coffee. My junior year in college I started working at an "alternative" bookstore/cafe in Boston named Trident. It was there where I developed a love/addiction to coffee.

I relate to your story about all nighters. Once I got through two in a row only on Jolt , cigarrettes and Tums (in no particular order). I would not want to do that again.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home