Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Stop Me Before I Kill Another Bag of These

I'm not completely certain if this post is a product endorsement or just a cry for help. Maybe a little of both. Lately, I'm completely out of control with regard to these little Quaker "Quakes" Rice Cakes. I think I may need an intervention of some kind, but how could anyone justify keeping me away from something that's so clearly good for me?

And who wouldn't love these? They're light. compact and they come in great flavors. It takes ten of them to equal 70 calories. A handful can keep me away from the cookie jar in a major way and they've replaced potato chips at lunch and a bowl of Captain Crunch as my late night snack. It's like the best tasting styrofoam --er--rice cake on the market today.

My biggest foe here, if truth be told, is portion control. I went through this with Snack Wells, so hear me out. If you can have what you want (a cookie, perhaps) and it only racks up half the calories of the brand you'd normally eat, then doesn't it make sense that you can have twice as much? Yes, of course it defeats the purpose! I'm not an idiot. I'm a woman struggling with an
inability to say "enough" and a serious attraction to food that contains carbohydrates and makes noise when I bite into it.

Today on the way home from buying a table that I'm going to paint, I stopped at a completely foreign Kroger. And by foreign I mean I had never shopped there before. It's way on the other side of town. I don't enjoy stepping into an unfamiliar grocery store lest the stank of its appalling feng shui (or lack thereof) catapult me into a psychotic episode. Why did I stop? Because I had to scope out their supply of rice cakes. I scored about four bags and made it home without opening one of them.

So what's my point? Well, if you care at all, my sudden and overwhelming urge for constant intake of Quakes is wreaking havoc in rice paddies all over parts of Asia. Specifically in China where little farmers in conical hats are working overtime while ankle deep in muddy water to harvest enough product so that it can eventually be fashioned into my latest and most favorite food craze.

So tell me about a snack that is so good you have trouble keeping a lid on it.

22 Comments:

Blogger mrtl said...

I am currently hoarding a bag of miniature Reese's Cups behind an endtable. I snuck a few into my husband's lunch box last night, so he knows I have them.

But they're mine.

Rice cake snacks are MUCH better to go crazy on.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Daphne said...

In a similar vein: cheddar flavored soy crisps. YUM. Only now do I realize I didn't *have* to let Seth eat the rest of the bag since it's not got that many calories at all. A little expensive but oh, the best way to feed my powdered-cheddar-addiction.

9:35 PM  
Blogger mE said...

Ice cream, of the super-premium kind. I have *two* creameries that are on various 'Best Ice Cream in the Country' lists (Grand Ole Creamery and Izzy's) that are located within a mile or so of our house.

This is not necessarily a good thing.

~Eileen

10:18 PM  
Anonymous V-Grrrl said...

I clicked on the link to your blog instead of getting up and eating my Ranch Quaker rice cakes! Honestly! And then there they are in all their glory on your screen. Now I'm undone. The pantry is calling. I can't say no...help me..........

1:30 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

No, no, no...Forget the rice cakes. You need the popcorn cakes! Orville Redenbacher makes them, and the carmel kind are dee-licious!

4:49 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

If you like these little rice cakes and can't control consumption of them, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, purchase a bag of Robert's Pirate's Booty with Caramel. So crunchy and caramelly and SO GOOD. I simply can't buy that stuff anymore.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Spamboy said...

When I was a kid, cans of Pringles came in twos shrink-wrapped together. My mother would buy these and give one can to me, the other to my brother. This way, we were given an equal ration of chips and we couldn't bogart more than our fair share. One night, while we were sitting and watching "Smokey and the Bandit II" on ABC Movie Sunday, I reached the bottom of my can and found a piece of paper. I pulled it out and it read, "Congratulations! You are the winner of an Intellivision game system!" It was the first prize I had ever won. To this day, I am a life-long, die-hard Pringles fan.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

The Caramel Rice Cakes are sooo good! Hoop and I are addicted to "Propel" waters though. They come in flavors like Peach, Melon, Berry, and Grape. We actually keep tabs on what gas stations carry what flavors. We avoid the ones that only carry the original 4.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Lisa Ann said...

I'm all about the Planters Peanut Bars right now. Like 2 or 3 a day. Seriously. Addicted. Can't. Stop. Help. Me.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Yogurt pretzels! Yogurt's good for you right? Pretzel's are zero anything, right? So a 2-pound bag of pretzels covered in yogurt is like a big glass of water!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

The soy crisps are what get me every time. I have eaten 350 calorie bagfuls of those tasty, crunchy little suckers, telling myself it's okay because they are high in protein.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous jess said...

After ebin deeply entrenched in the toddler snack for the past eight years i am totally done with the crunchy cracker snacks. Chocolate all the way. Oh, and Captain Crunch! I never buy it because i eat it obsessively until my mouth and tongue are ripped apart.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous jess said...

Ugh! That should say "After being..."

sleep deprivation is a killer.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Hänni said...

I *try* to only eat veggies and raisins for snacks.

Sometimes at night in desperation I'll break into the tranfatty Jif. I'll eat like 5 heaping spoons of that bitch, until Angel - seeing the crazed look in my eyes and acne beginning to emerge - pulls the peanut butter out of my hands.

There are these *really good* organic mint chocolate cookies that they sell at the grocery store. I don't buy them though. I would eat the whole bag.

My favorite snack ever: Coco MoleLara bars.

9:16 AM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Pop Tarts.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

My husband loves those rice snacks, too.

I love Zapps Potato Chips, but they're too damn hard to find.

I also love fontina cheese with a slice of avocado on a Carr's cracker. Or baked brie and organic fig jam on a Carr's. Heaven.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Daxohol said...

I'm a candy type of girl. So it's Skittles and Cotton Candy.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Hain Pure Foods Organic 100% Popped Corn All Natural Mini Cakes in White Cheddar...all the way!

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Merteuil said...

Gahhh!! They are SO good. There should be a new word made up for just how good they are. The cheese ones are a staple for me here at work.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I recommend good quality chocolate bars like The Chocolate Factory or the Green & Dark Organic Chocolate. If you have a BJs near you, you can get a nice package of the Swiss Nestles miniature chocolate bars.

Now, let's talk about this dieting business. Don't. It's ridiculous to give up your favorite foods. Portion control is ridiculous especially for active people.

Look, I saw your photograph on Frapr(?). I don't see the problem.

Eating more raw fruit and vegetables is essential, but i also enjoy good, German, Polish and Irish sausage.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

My favorite are the caramel... ~le sigh~

5:52 PM  
Blogger jess said...

Chocolate covered pretzels from Trader Joe's.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home