Friday, January 13, 2006

YOU MUST BE SO PROUD...


All of our sons love going to the movies, and the two in high school go with their friends quite a bit. They will not, however, go to ANY movie if they can only scare up ONE OTHER GUY to go with them. And why won't they do this, you might ask? Because they're certain that other people will think it's a date.

**silence except for the chirping of crickets**

That's right. My children who have been born into an open and affirming family and who were raised in a church that does the same, don't want people to think they're gay. They don't have a problem with gay-ness, philosophically speaking. My best friend from high school is gay and so is a member of my extended family. The kids admire and love both of these men without judgement or prejudice. Interestingly enough, their fear of "that kind" of speculation from their peers doesn't prevent them from "pantsing" another guy in the locker room or each other at inopportune moments at home. No ma'am! Pulling another guys pants down around his ankles while he's getting his cleats out of his locker doesn't look suspicious at all. But watching a movie about terrorists while sitting within 2 feet of another male is just wrong.

So, needless to say, I was mildly shocked when my son, the baseball player, announced this morning that he and a friend were going to embark on a money-making venture/dare that involved a movie. "Some guys on the team are going to pay me and another guy twenty bucks apiece to see "Brokeback Mountain" together...AND... we have to share popcorn." Mercifully for them, they would be allowed one seat between them. My son's first job...no lawn mowing or working at the hardware store for this guy! Just getting paid to watch a movie and prove a point at the same time. I begin to strategize about how I'll caption this moment when I start working on his scrapbook

So, let me get this straight:

Two guys going to the movies= Not Good
Two guys going to a movie about two gay cowboys + $$= You've got yourself a deal

There's a word for people like this....I just hoped I'd never hear it applied to one of my kids.




18 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

LMAO!! *Wipes tears from eyes* That is classic.

BTW: I know single grown men who won't go to the movies with just one other guy. Or they take the one seat apart rule and extend it to a ROW apart. Moments like these make me feel so good about being female.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Daxohol said...

Isn't it an ass-backwards society?

It boils down to security. My hubby and his best friend go to see movies all the time. On a trip to Chicago for a weekend, they stumbled across Gay Pride! They had a few beers and even got shot in the butt with a super soaker by a super hot guy clad in a bikini swimsuit and furry boots! they still laugh about it!

You are doing a great job of keeping an educated and tolerant home...it stick in yer craw, but they'll grow out of this...;-P

11:42 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I think they should be forced to donate a portion of whatever they earn to an AIDS charity - might force them to at least acknowledge that it's not all a joke.

And it reminds me of how my two older brothers and I would go somewhere in a pickup, and if I won the draw for the window seat, I would duck down when we were driving by people our age so that the boys appeared snuggled up close.

12:00 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

We'll see if they go through with it. I don't think they think it's so much a joke...they're just opportunists. Not that this is a good thing, either. Amd they're not going so that they can pretend they're a "couple". I made sure that this was not the case. But if $20 can show my kid that it's okay to go to the movies with a friend (guy or girl) and figure out that what others think isn't important, I'm willing to let them try.

12:10 PM  
Blogger theyellowwallpaper said...

Oh, God...Man, I don't miss how much peer pressure is placed on adolescents. Everything is always about the collective. Watch out and conform or you may pay the price. I have no doubt that in the end the tolerance you've instilled will shine.

Oh, and I really enjoyed the movie. Thumbs up.

12:31 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

You know, I don't think I can recall seeing two guys at a movie together (besides father and son). That's a shame.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

Two movie tickets: $14

Popcorn & Coke: $29.67

Gummibears: $4.95

Getting paid to see a gay cowboy movie: Priceless

2:04 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

It's the age. First, god forbid anyone question your sexuality. Second, money rules all.

They can't help it.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

It's such a guy thing. Most men are so concerned about being perceived as gay- but they sure don't mind a couple of lesbians- provided they're hot!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

*snicker* *snort* *rolling eyes* teenagers?!! What are you going to do. You brought them up with open values, they'll get over this phase as well.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Flippy said...

Hmm, I'll have to check and see if this affects my open-minded teenaged nephews. This gay aunt will have to talk to them the next time I see them. They seem pretty secure in their sexuality, but it would be interesting to talk about.

Anyway, on an unrelated note - even though I don't know you, go to BlogHer. Get some Ativan for the plane. It works wonders. That, and a good book.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Shrinking Violet said...

hahhaahhahaa...my son....he's not gay....he's a whore!!!!! Well, it will be a good movie for them to see no matter what. And I know this kid. So, he's cool.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Men. Glad I have never birthed any of 'em.

7:50 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I think they sound like quite the entrepeneurs. But, I will say when I went and saw the movie I was probably one of the few straight people in there. None of the men looked straight. Good luck to 'em. Keep that popcorn bucket between 'em and go for the extra large.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

There's a word for people like this....I just hoped I'd never hear it applied to one of my kids.

Give them time to grow up. Remember, they may rebell against your values for awhile.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Trying to see their point of view, having a gay family friend is okay, but putting yourself into a gay situation is another. Brokeback
Mountain is a gay movie. Maybe, it would be similiar to going to a Gay bar. Have you ever gone to a lesbian bar? I do not think that I would feel comfortable in a gay bar. An old friend went with a gay coworker once, and he felt so uncomfortable that he soon left. Later, he was embarassed and apologized to the gay coworker.

The odd thing about it is that the movie really isn't a challenge for a dare because everyone's seeing it.

I am surprised though that seeing any movie with a male friend is an issue. That's a new one.

Adding to my first message is that he may not be able to listen to you for awhile, but parental values usually survive the long run.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous V-Grrrrl said...

This reminds me of when two girlfriends of mine (in their 40s) went to check out a new bar/restaurant in our town. They came back and said the food was great, but did I know it was a GAY bar? One friend said, "We were the only straight people in the place!" To which I replied, "And the only people who knew you were sraight!" The look on their faces was priceless--and then came the laughter.....

11:40 PM  
Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Well, they're kids... When I was forteen I was ashamed of people thinking that I BREATHED.

Some people don't grow out of this "oh my GOD what if people think I'm GAY" thing, though.

British guys can't drink half-pints for fear of appearing effeminate - what's all that about?

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home