Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Five Reasons I'm Not Sorry I'm Here

1. An almost 17-year old son who stops what he's doing and thanks me for buying him apples and retainer cleaner from the store and who is generous to a fault and unfailingly kind.

2. His almost 16-year old brother whose first question to me after I picked him up from a study session was: "Hey...how was your day?" A kid who lives to make us laugh and never gives us a moment's worry.

3. Their almost 12-year old brother who comes home to make me and his father our own Valentine's cards...complete with chocolate kisses taped to them. Mine had a handwritten message that said, "I love you so much, Mom. I can't really put it into words. Thank you for being one of the most important people ever." The same kid who still hugs me in front of his friends when he sees me at school

4. A husband who apparently already planned to get me my much-desired new yoga mats and who picked out and arranged himself the flowers he bought. He purposely included the same flowers that he and the male members of our wedding party wore in their lapels the day we married...20 years ago this June. I couldn't believe he remembered those flowers.

5. Many years with the same romantic man who, before he got rid of his old truck (the one we had our first date in while in college), cut a piece of the back bumper out with a blowtorch in the shape of a heart and gave it to me. The same guy who lined the driveway to his old house out in the country with sparklers one night and lit them to welcome me as I drove in the dark to meet him. The guy who thinks all pregnant women are unbelievably sexy and who cries with me when we think of our kids leaving for college. My years staying at home with our boys may be the reason they're still alive, but their father is the reason they are gentlemen and gentle men. The world could certainly use a few more of them.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY...TO ALL OF US

23 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Back atcha' girlfriend. Here's to love...in all its forms.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous jess said...

Wow, i feel all teary and tender now. I wish we could all be so lucky to have a love like (all) of yours!

Happy Valentine's Day to you!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous LetterB said...

Five lovely reasons! Beautiful post.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I am sending your's and Brooke's posts to my spouse, in hopes that he can still become a romantic....

Happy V-Day to you and your family.

9:19 PM  
Blogger mE said...

Beeyootiful flowers... and the other stuff is so sweet!

The Pirate is not made of that sort of Romantic Stuff. He just doesn't think that way... but he does do laundry and dishes when asked, and frequently volunteers to cook dinner. And he usually lets me have the TV controller without having to arm-wrestle for it. So I know I'm loved.
:D

~Eileen

10:21 PM  
Blogger mrtl said...

oh you make me weepy

10:29 PM  
Blogger mrtl said...

p.s. Your first date story makes me think of "Setting the Woods on Fire" by Hank Williams, Sr.

"We'll set close to one another,
Up one street and down the other.
We'll have a time, oh brother
Setting the woods on fire."

10:31 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Gorgeous arrangement! I love homemade cards!! Last night I got out and decorated the table with the wooden "Mr. Love" man that the middle one made for me 7 years ago and the puzzle heart that the oldest made for me 8 years ago.

Your guys all sound so wonderful.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous irene said...

beautiful, inspiring post.

1:03 AM  
Anonymous V-Grrrl said...

Thanks, I needed this.

3:24 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

What a great husband and what great sons! You are truly blessed!

4:47 AM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

My heart is swelling...just swelling. There is so much love in your home.

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Merteuil said...

It sounds like you have an amazing family and I have never EVER heard of a husaband who remembered the wedding floral arrangements. Ever. ;-)

6:23 AM  
Blogger Lisa Ann said...

How lovely & how lucky you are!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

So much goodness...what a wonderful family!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

WOW. That is truly beautiful. What amazing little men. What an amazing husband. Your family IS the definition of love dear woman.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

that was beautiful! I got all goose-bumply!

8:37 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

This made me cry. But in a good way. You are a lucky woman and your men are lucky to have you.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

That was awesome. Your words made me happy. Very happy.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Shrinking Violet said...

Literary writing. And fabulous family. I've met them and it is true.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Sounds like a great family.

8:34 PM  
Blogger reading said...

I love your family. But then, you knew that. :)

6:05 PM  
Anonymous RzDrms said...

holy cow!, you're blessed!!!

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home