Thursday, February 09, 2006

Neither Concise nor Cohesive










I'm just going to offer up some random observations today. As the title of this post indicates, I'm not in any frame of mind to write anything of any real worth today. Herewith:


1) Sweet Lord, what in the wide world of sports is WRONG with Sly Stone? I saw him last night near the end of the Grammy's tribute to Sly and the Family Stone, a group I really liked, and when he shambled onto the stage looking like a giant gold lame' rooster, I did a spit take with my glass of chardonnay. Even George Clinton with his fake dreads and the stray bits of Christmas ribbon tied to his weave that he enjoys wearing never looks as pathetic as Sly did last night. Pretending to play the keyboards and struggling to remember the words to his own songs...and then wandering offstage like an Alzsheimer's patient before the song was even over. I honestly thought he could have maintained more dignity if he'd wheeled onto the stage in a Rascal mobility scooter. Either that or by owning the fact of his own baldness (look at Isaac Hayes!!) instead of supergluing that faux platinum mohawk onto his head. And don't EVEN try to tell me it's because he's old. He's about a biscuit over 60, but so is Paul McCartney and he's still ALL THAT. Hell, jazz pianist Eubie Blake was 100 when he died and he rocked his corner of the music world until right before he kicked. It's just such a letdown. That's all I'm saying.

2) Miss Harridan has a thread going about something interesting. She wants to know if there's anyone famous you look like. I reported that several strangers had commented that I looked like Daryl Hannah. Personally, I don't think it's true AT ALL and especially not now that she's had some major plastic surgery. I really think I look like the photographer, Annie Liebowitz. And the older I get, the more true it becomes...espcially when I've got my glasses on, which is ALL THE TIME unless someone points a camera in my direction. I really think it could be a lot worse. Who do you think you look like?

3) More objectification of women from Kanye West at the Grammy's, whose ego is so big, he's only days away from declaring himself to be the Messiah. True, he didn't write "Golddigger" and it is, with the addition of Jamie Foxx, an infectious song with a dance beat that gets me moving like a Soul Train dancer, even though my genetics condemn me to a life of arhytmic movement unless I'm totally plowed. West loses street cred in my book for singing about skanky women who use men for their money...while he's costumed as a PIMP. He shoulda stuck with the band uniform he was wearing at the beginning of the song.

4) I will be watching the Olympics for the next couple of weeks, and I'm not ashamed. Personally, I enjoy the summer edition better, but I'll take what I can get. The sculpted beauty of the toned and fit human form (male or female) is a sight to behold and nothing can inspire me to do my crunches or wind sprints faster than the sight of a dedicated athlete in the midst of competition.
I hate the Ice Capades, but I'm fascinated by ice skating. It's harder than it looks. Winter or Summer...what's your favorite event?

5) My oldest son is entreating his friends to wear black on Valentine's Day. No he's not a goth...check out the pics on Flickr. Can't say that I blame him, given that a sophomore wench who pursued him (first!) ditched him unceremoniously a week later after asking him to lunch twice and then letting him pay both times. I hate Valentine's day!

Okay, I'm married and have a built-in boyfriend (and in my case...an excellent one) and have little reason to be bitter, but since when does marriage encourage or promote romance? I know less than a handful of married couples whom I could define as happy. Why does everyone have to bow to one day when they should be fanning the flames of passion on all the other 364 days of the year? Why now? And why, in the name of all that is holy, must EVERYTHING be pink? I hate pink. And those little candy hearts that look and taste like colored sheetrock? HATE THEM!

Okay...I feel better now.

19 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

I've been told I look like Alyssa Milano back in her "Who's the Boss" days. Hoop gets told he looks like Vince Vaughn every-friggin-where we go. It's annoying because I just don't see it.

11:37 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I've got the solution to your son's Valentine's Day woes. We'll fix him up with my daughter. Sure, they're on opposite sides of the country, but really, don't you think at their ages long-distance relationships are better anyway? The longer the distance, the better?

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Kurt said...

1. My Special Someone and I have agreed not to celebrate VD. I'll ask about the wearing black thing.

2. We refer to Paul as Dame McCartney, sorry to say.

3. Kanye has a lovely line of diamond-encrusted Jesus pins out, inspired, no doubt, by Jesus' teachings.

1:21 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

Dame McCartney??? I don't get it.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Daphne said...

I feel better now, too, and I really needed that.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

Man don't mess with Sir Paul - frankly his Super Bowl halftime was way better than those twigs onstage a few weeks ago - and have you ever seen his concert at Red Square? Unfriggin believable.

Yeah - there was a lot of hype about Sly and do miss "those summer days". should of stayed home in the la-z-boy.

For the record I don't mind VD at all - we blow bucks on flowers at the office, but we LOVE it - but in school it was a pain.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Even if VD is a horrendously colored, commercial, pointless holiday, I'm down with it because I usually get something good. Not flowers or candy, mind you. We're talking elctronically gadgety things.

And what else... um? Oh, I look like nobody. All Olympic events make me cry (especially the medal ceremonies). And Dame McCartney! I get it! (Okay, I'm just saying that - does that mean he looks like an old woman?)

3:04 PM  
Anonymous TB said...

I love the ice skating at the winter games. When I was little my sisters and I used to pretend we were the olympic skaters and have competitions around the house in our bedroom slippers.
Jeff bought tickets for us to go to Champions on Ice when we first started dating and he even went with me. It was wonderful!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

You could send me all the pink things. I kinda like 'em.

5:59 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

I love the Olympics. I'll be watchin' them right along with you.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Sarcomical said...

wow! so much to reply to in this post! well, personally i never get told i look like anyone, but somehow people do always say "oh my gosh i know this girl who's a friend of a friend of a guy, you look just like her!" i DO think you look like daryl, and i hope you take that as a compliment ;) i haven't seen her since her surgery. but you have less vacancy in your eyes than she usually does - ha.

i ALSO hate valentine's day. my husband and i rarely acknowledge it more than verbalizing it to each other and maybe having a nicer dinner out or at home. but i don't get all a-flutter over anticipating the fabulous overture he will produce. i agree - i'd rather have love and good memories all year long and not hang so many expectations on one day.

and as far as olympics go, i really always liked the winter ones better. mostly for the ice skating. remember the good old days when all the olympics were on one year and there weren't a thousand cable channels so you couldn't get around watching them? ;)

7:32 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I have had a few people say I look like Tanya Tucker (back in her good days, people!)

I also hate Valentine's Day. I acknowledge with a card and maybe a sweet but thats it. No jewelry or grand gestures. Its a conspiracy by the retail industry!!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I consider Valentine's Day to be a good excuse to buy myself a really nice box of chocolates. Honestly, though, I do like those little candy hearts.

I prefer the Winter Olympics to the summer, but I'm not a huge sports fan either way. I'll probably watch about 15 minutes of figure skating and then switch over to the E! True Hollywood Story.

6:21 AM  
Blogger theyellowwallpaper said...

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of pink as well. I never imagined that this shade would adorn my own daughter on a daily basis.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous jess said...

I love the candy hearts! Valentine's Day? I can take it or leave it - especially (leave) sitting up for hours with my kids while they make their valentines. I look like nobody - an original.

Happy weekend.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous kate said...

I look like no one famous. I am ok with it.

I dont even acknowledge the fact that Valentines day exists. Makes my life a lot easier.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree about Valentines Day. Couples should treat every day as an opportunity to express affection, not just this one day, which demands you spend money on silly teddy bears and pink ribbons or whatever. S and I are more excited about Tubshevat. :)

I am sorry to hear about your sons girl troubles! :(

Kestrel

12:56 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I love Valentine's Day, it gives my husband more pressure to screw up Romance, even bigger than the other 354 days...then, I can be huffy and righteous. What more could I ask for?

10:18 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Wait... Kanye West ISN'T the Messiah?! Damn. And I had that holy shrine in my back room made special...

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home