Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Oh no, they didn't!!

Mr. Half's birthday is Saturday and his parents dropped off his gift early before they flew out of town for the next week. I was intrigued by my MIL's cryptic message that accompanied the mysterious gift wherein she said to me, "You have my sympathies". I had no clue as to what this gift was and why she was sorry they had given it to him, though before she hung up she informed me that it had to to with something he was interested in.

Okay...that was no kind of clue at all. Mr. Half is interested in MANY things. I'm married to the man of a thousand interests. Natural studies like bugs and birds and snakes. Guitar playing. Hiking/camping. Yoga. Scuba. Archery. Books. Hunting. Architecture. Biology. Bonsai trees. Organic gardening. Regular gardening. Anthropology. The writings of Epictitus. Woody Allen movies. Paintings by Peter Brughel. Boy Scouting. Pottery. Golf. Music. And that's just a partial list.

I should also say that his geneological heritage is a strong mix of Scandanavian and Scottish, though there's little evidence as to how long ago the latter got to this country, while the former bloodlines are far more recently "undiluted" (and well exemplified by his massive head of hair that rivals anything I could ever grow). Still, it was a charming moment when we met for the first time in the college dining hall all those years ago and he informed me that his last name was Scottish for "the boogeyman" or "vampire" and could be found in the Robert Burn's poem, "Tam O' Shanter". He had me at "boo".

(Pics are from Archaeology Field School (long ago) and other one is from camp. I can't for the life of me get scanned pics to lie straight)


Anyway, for the last several years he's mentioned a certain item that he admires and would like to have, though he has no skill in operating said item. Lo-and-behold- this is exactly what he unwrapped last night when he tore the paper off of the box his parents brought. My ears will never be the same.


Next he plans on taking courses to play the bagpipes at the nearby university and my sister (the one who works miracles with a sewing machine) asked if she'd be needed to whip up a kilt for him. Given that our sons nearly die a thousand deaths when he shows up in any public place wearing his scoutmaster's uniform, I can only imagine the money we'll need for their therapy once he shows up for someone's baseball game in a plaid skirt. Even if he does have great legs.

19 Comments:

Blogger Arabella said...

This is priceless. My husband is Scottish, too; my family encouraged him to get married in a kilt, but he wanted no part of it.

I love bagpipes.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous V-Grrrl said...

He's definitely kilt material. And wow, the hair makes Fabio look like a sissy.

My lists of interests is short and boring. Your husband sounds like a walking example of the benefits of a liberal arts education in enriching life.

12:06 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

You know they aren't supposed to wear ANYTHING under the kilt, darlin'. Now thats a good way to embarrass the clan!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Shrinking Violet said...

I love the bagpipes and can't wait to hear him play. He will also be Captain Von Trapp's favorite child.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous jess said...

So awesome! That is the best gift ever!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Okay, I love the idea of bagpipes, but I'm shrinking back into myself imagining him showing up in public with them strapped on, heaving and wailing. I just reverted back to 15-years-old and died a thousand deaths.
*shakes head rigorously*
Okay, I'm fine. How nice of your MIL!

2:54 PM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

If he wears the kilt, just make sure it's not a windy day!

Payback...Does your father-in-law like drums?

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Daphne said...

What a great post. Your posts often leave me feeling happy. Thanks!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

After my cousin would go out drinking for the night, so he would not have to deal with any noises the next day, he would dip cotton into vasoline, and then insert that in his ears. Maybe, that could work for you.

Or get out more

8:33 PM  
Blogger mE said...

Ooo, and you can use his Kilt pins for stitch holders!

Lucky you, by the way... I'd learn to love ear plugs if I could look at that every day! :D

~Eileen

9:42 PM  
Anonymous TB said...

Awesome! I have heard the bagpipes are really hard to play, so good luck to Mr. Half. And don't forget to tell him that a real Scotsman goes commando under his kilt.

PS Mr. Half, Happy Birthday and forgive me for saying, but you are a hottie.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

They should have sent you a gift too... Earplugs. My stepdad is Scottish. He and my brothers wore kilts to his and my Mom's wedding. The bagpipers were neat but not something I could take on a regular basis. I love the pics btw.

8:26 AM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Oh, I love bagpipes. That's a very cool gift.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Mit_Moi said...

I think your MIL needs a new little puppy to keep her company when she's not leaving town! How evil of her!

10:37 AM  
Blogger reading said...

There are just no words. I'll need a concert soon.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

I dunno - long hair, wears a dress, plays an upholstered instrument....

8:12 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

Rock- Yes, yes....all of that and sexy as hell. And your point would be....?

8:44 PM  
Blogger Sarcomical said...

oh my. when they are good, they're very good. but when they're bad...

lovingly insert the earplugs. ;)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Maybe, you will produce a sound file for us?

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home