Thursday, February 23, 2006

What Time Is It?

1) I've been sidelined with an emerging sinus thing which came on the heels of the cold I thought I blew through rather swiftly last week. I feel as though I've been underwater for some time. I'm feverishly working on the table for the auction and should be able to spray the sealer on tomorrow night. The past couple of days I've alternated painting with lying on the sofa and breathing into a humidifier. I'm not feeling too sharp and the day-after-the-party scene from "Sixteen Candles" keeps playing through my head. I feel like Long Duck Dong lying flat out in the yard and Grandpa is clapping his hands in my face saying, "Dong...where is my automobile?" Yeah...that's exactly how a sinus infection feels.

2) Tomorrow I'm going downtown with a friend to hear Anna Quindlen speak. I'll either be feeling better by then, or I'll be counting the minutes until my 1:30 appointment for sinus drugs. I have to be upright by early Saturday, because I'm running the 5K portion of the Cowtown Marathon/Half/10K/5K with my youngest son. Meanwhile, my intimate relationship with the humidifier will continue.

3) Every day for a week it's been cloudy here. Cold (for Texas). Humid or just wet. Dark. I would never make it in Seattle. Or Norway (where in some places there is no sun from November to January). I don't have Seasonal Affective Disorder, but a week of no sunshine is really getting to me.

4) I'll watch the figure skating tonight, but I get the advance stats via my New York Times webpage, so I already know how everything plays out.

5) Apolo Ohno is rocking that little soul patch in a major way. That hair! Those eyes! That skin! Those teeth! Sure...at 5'8" he's practically a little troll doll, but he's one I wouldn't mind swearing off the high-heels for.

6) Skating commentator Dick Button is one cranky old curmudgeon! He rarely has anything nice to say about any skater. Maybe it's because he's 136 years old. Maybe it's because he sees skaters do things he couldn't even do WHEN HE WAS MR. THANG! Either way, he's making me tired.

7) You're never too old to wear a seatbelt. In our community a young man lost his life this week because he was in a hurry. He kissed his wife goodbye, jumped in his car and sped down an icy highway to church where he was to give the early sermon. He hit a slick patch and he was thrown through the windshield because he didn't have his seatbelt on. I didn't even know him, but from all accounts he was a great guy...intelligent and with a keen sense of humor. And now he's dead and it's no one's fault but his own. I catch myself "going without" if I'm just driving two blocks to the grocery store, but I'm not doing it anymore. Neither should you. Everyone's in a big, damn hurry, so strap yourself in good and tight. I'm serious, people. Second chances rarely happen. Now go and have a spectacular Friday.

17 Comments:

Blogger Kurt said...

It's the law in these parts, so I always do it.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Last night, I told my husband, "I wish I had a dick button." Har har.

Hope you feel better soon. You need some rest, girl!

9:46 PM  
Anonymous jess said...

Oh how i love long duck dong! Is your hair shorn (sp?) at awkward angles. Is there a much younger man beside you?

Just a sinus infection then? So sorry. Never mind Seattle, the whole west coast is out for you!

Not feeling the skating love here.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous TB said...

Happy Friday WordGirl. Hope you are feeling better.

Have a great time listening to Anna. That should be incredible.

4:33 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Well, at least the stuffed up nose will keep you from having to smell the spray-on sealer.

Have a good Friday...Wishing you some sunshine!

4:46 AM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Auto-mo-BEEEEL? Auto-mo-BEEEEL?

God, how I love that movie. At least once a day I hear Samantha Baker say, "I loathe the bus" in my head.

That's just awful about the man in your community who was killed. Seatbelts are a MUST for us. Years ago my mom, a passenger in a van, took hers off for a split second to reach back and grab something. The driver hit a parked cube van and she ended up with a broken collarbone. You just NEVER KNOW.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Baking and Books said...

I hope you feel better soon. Sinus pressure is one of the worst feelings, it screws with your entire system. :(

That is so sad about the young man who died! It's the same with speeding, as in, 20+ miles above the limit. Yea, you might get where you're going 5 minutes early but one day you might not arrive at all. Makes me sad. :(

7:10 AM  
Anonymous V-Grrrl said...

Anna Quindlen is one of my favorite writers. Love her essays best and her first novel, Object Lessons. But I like everything she writes.

Be glad you don't live in Belgium. Seriously, we can go a month without a sunny day. I'm from the South, and I've gotten used to the gray but I hate BLOWING RAIN. That sucks the spirit right out of me.

Sinus infections are miserable. If you haven't already, use a saline nasal spray and irrigate, irrigate, irrigate. Yeah it's gross, but it helps a lot.

7:12 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I am so jealous about the Anna Quindlen thing! I love her!!

I hope you feel well enough to really enjoy it.

My kids will ask me when we go around the block if they have to put on their seatbelt and I always tell them, "You should wear it every time you get in the car!" We had a little girl (2)who the mother put her in the front, with no seatbelt. The mother rear ended a lady doing about 30 mph and the little girl was decapitated by the airbag!! That was enough for me.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I'm a big fan of seatbelts.

TheraFlu might be just what you need. Good stuff.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Rock said...

You know there are some many things here I want to comment on but I'm just going to let it go - Apollo, Anna,......?

Seatbelsts are the law - and one that is good for you. Ever since it became effective in Texas I have been religious about it (and prior never really did use them). Now I'm somewhat of a fanatic because I see Deborah eschew them from time to time. All it takes is one crazy to blow you away. Be safe.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Sinus Infections are the pits. I hope you feel better soon!

It upsets me so much when I hear about people killed because they didn't wear their seatbelts. It's such an easy thing to do. CLICK, done.

Have a great weekend.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Hope you're feeling better! I couldn't agree with you more about Dick Button - grumpy old man, boo hiss. Sad about your seatbelt story. I worked in insurance for 10 years and saw first hand what happened when people didn't wear their seatbelts. I will not ride in a car with anyone who doesn't.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Orange said...

The only time I drive without a seatbelt is from my condo to the parking lot, four doors down the street. But if my kid's in the car, I'll buckle up even for that quarter-block drive. He's a good boy—he'll remind my husband to put his belt on before we've finished pulling out of a parking spot.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

1. I really think sinus problems are increasing because of the air pollution. Child's Delight's sinuses clear up when she leaves NYC behind. More than ten years ago, no one bothered to tell me that there sinuses were bothering them.

7. I actually have a couple of old friends who believe that mandatory wearing of seatbelts is a conspiracy instigated by the insurance companies, and never wear them. We wear them all the time. Thanks for the concern and warning.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I tell my kids that the car won't start unless we are all strapped in.

I hope you're feeling better.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Oympics. Marital Sex vs. Child Love. Don Knotts. I dub thee blogsequitur.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home