Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Freakish weather and other thoughts

1)Two weeks ago it was icy and raining. Today, it was 98 degrees. I'd like to act as though I'm surprised about this, but it is Texas after all. People have a saying around here...stop me if you've heard it: "You don't like the weather here? Just wait a minute." I'd say that the last few weeks are a perfect example of that. Drought. Rain. Freezing rain and ice. Heat. By the middle of summer you'll hear me begging for a 98 degree day. I think we had a few days last year that reached 110 and that's the kind of heat that makes you stupid, folks. Have you ever tried to get into a hot car in that kind of weather without suffering third-degree burns on your hands? No? I've seriously thought about bringing potholders with me just for that very purpose. Hmmm. Is that a great money-making idea...or just the kind of desperate measure that desperate times call for?

2)I'm participating in a little thing called Perfect Post wherein the first of every month brings the opportunity to give a shout out to a fellow blogger who has posted something particularly thought-provoking or hilarious in the previous month. If you're interested in participating, you can let Lucinda over at Suburban Turmoil know about it. In the meantime, my nominee for the last month is Teebs over at Soul Gardening. She had a great post called Magical Places and I think everyone ought to head over and check it out. It's all about libraries.



















3)Finally! Something on HBO to take my mind off of the tragic loss of "Six Feet Under" and "Sex & the City". "Big Love" has Bill Paxton (He's from Fort Worth, y'all!), Anne Archer, Chloe Sevigny and some other chick I've never heard of. It's about polygamy in Utah. That alone should provide plenty of comic fodder for the writers. First episode is March 12.

4) Someone please tell Lisa Rinna (Dancing with the Stars) that her normal lips have been abducted and cleverly replaced with two bratwurst. Holy crap! What's with these women and their need to employ a compressor and airhose in order to inflate their lips to clown-like proportions? Rinna looks as though she's been in an accident of some kind. I'm all for a nice full set of lips, but this is beyond lunacy.

5)The Academy Awards...that 4 1/2 hour tribute to self-indulgence/boob enhancement and the occasional good movie will be broadcast on Sunday. Sure, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is wearing and watching carefully to see if nerves cause any actors to rush the stage with Botox syringes hanging out of their foreheads... leftover evidence from some last-minute primping. Jon Stewart is also a big plus. Intelligent. Sarcastic. Funny as hell.

I've developed a little bit of an Oscar routine over the last few years that involves not answering the phone, silence from all of the children and Chinese food that is fetched without my having to move and brought to me with a glass of wine. This year will be no different. Best Actor (Male) had better go to Philip Seymour Hoffman for "Capote". That was one fabulous movie. Best Actor (Female) will go to Reese Witherspoon. I haven't seen "Walk the Line" yet, but I probably will. Best Director is far more interesting to me than Best Picture (yawn!), but by that part of the evening I'm ready to put on my Three Stooges pajamas and crawl into bed. Do you have any Oscar traditions that you follow or is this just another night to hit Blockbuster and avoid the hoopla?

20 Comments:

Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I enjoy all the hoopla too. I like to see what all the famous people are wearing and the practiced looks of "I don't care if I win, its an honor just to be nominated."

You are having freakish weather. It was a lovely 81 here today.

6:34 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

You know they care if they win or not.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous TB said...

I'm eagerly anticipating the new HBO comedy. The premise already sounds right up my alley.

Thanks again for the nomination, it really was the highlight of my day.

6:57 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Lisa Rinna used to be on 'Days of Our Lives' and all I could do was stare at her mouth when she was in a scene.

7:16 PM  
Blogger CISSY said...

It was downright hot here. I almost forgot the Oscars! That means I have three days to go watch Capote. It annoys me when I watch the Oscars and a movie I've never seen wins. My husband thinks I'm obsessive like that. I watched "Walk The Line" on the plane to Washington. Witherspoon did a fair job. I personally hope to see Felicity Huffman win. I think one of the Brokeback boys is gonna take the Oscar. (No, I havent' seen it. I don't think I could bear to see Heath Ledger kissing a man.)

10:30 PM  
Anonymous irene said...

the Oscars air from 2am to 6am in France... impossible to watch actually. we watch the reruns, which is good because they cut out all the commercials!

12:01 AM  
Anonymous V-Grrrl said...

Ah meterorological whiplash--that's spring in the South. I believe Will Rogers, an Oklahoman, launched that quote "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute...."

One interesting factoid about where I live in Belgium: we rarely have thunderstorms and when we do they're not half as bad as the apocalyptic ones we'd get in Va. and Okla.

12:16 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

We watch the Oscars, although I don't think I've ever stayed awake through the whole thing. This year should be different, though, thanks to Jon Stewart. I figure on starting the coffee pot around 5pm, just to make sure.

Wasn't it Mark Twain who authored that quote?

4:03 AM  
Blogger R. Robyn said...

Jon Stewart - Also hot as hell.

Lisa Rinna - Recovering? Without sounding completely insensitive she looks like she's had surgery for a cleft lip.

Also, I'm jealous of your weather. We had snow today.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

It's not just Texas...the weather everywhere has been strange. And that Lisa woman? I'm not sure why but I find her incredibly annoying. Wonder what's up with that.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

My favorite part of the Oscars is the tribute to everyone who died during the year. My only real Oscar tradition is that food is always involved, whether I'm actually watching the Oscars or not.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

1. I'm not surprised about your weather down there. I remember reading in Dead Man's Walk how terrible the storms are down in Texas.

4. I think those lips are disgusting. i respond immediately when I see someone like that in a movie. I can't see doing that to yourself. Yech! Can you imagine if it leaked? People that inflate their breasts or their lips may be causing harm to their bodies inserting these chemicals under their skin. All this physical enhancing is ridiculous. I used to watch those people on Extreme Makeover and wonder why. You have a woman change her features who already haas a husband, family and friends who love her.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Speaking of lips, did you catch Meg Ryan on Oprah yesterday? She had some serious plumpers going on...

6:45 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I'm with Arabella. I always tear up in that part (didn't you do a post like that a couple months ago?).

I don't have any traditions, but I have to at least watch it with one other person. I'm afraid shouting at the tv by myself may be a slippery slope.

Also, I can't see Bill Paxton without remembering this.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

One summer I wore gloves with grippers on them while driving. I had an all vinyl car with no ac in Florida heat. People laughed until I made them sit in the car.

Congrats on the nomination TB! Every one of your posts makes me want to curl up in your words and stay awhile. I truly believe you should work on something to get published.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Natsthename said...

LOL at Lisa Rinna. I used to think her lips were big when she was on Days Of OUr Lives years ago, but apparently she needed to have them be noticed as the prominent feature on her body. She weighs about 90 lbs, but 40 of it is LIPS! ;)

And the Academy Awards. I keep saying I"m not going to watch, but I know I'll get sucked in....I want to see the gowns!

11:48 AM  
Blogger theyellowwallpaper said...

I'm so with you about Philip Seymour Hoffman...It was a terrific performance in an outstanding film.

I can't help myself, but I'm looking forward to the awards. I'm so psyched that Jon Stewart is hosting. I'm parying he doesn't turn in a Dave Letterman performance.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

I remember Lisa Rinna on Days of our Lives. I think she was buried alive. Her lips were that big then.

9:33 PM  
Blogger john boy said...

I watch every year. Sadly, this being my first year with a real full-time job, I didn't have time to watch all of the nominated movies. I can't remember the last time I hadn't already seen all the nominations. Oh well, I guess that is part of "adulthood" ;)

I definitely agree with you on the best actor, but I think Felicity Huffman in Transamerica might have a shot, and then there is the Dame Judy. But, who knows, I've seen people win that just made me scratch my head.

Enjoy the show!

7:17 AM  
Blogger john boy said...

Oh, I also used to live in Texas. Horrible weather!!! I remember it hitting 114 once (the one summer I came back from Mexico too early). Miserable!!

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home