Sunday, March 26, 2006

The sacrifices we make



I confess that I've been watching HBO's "Big Love" since it aired and have missed every episode of "Grey's Anatomy" during those three Sundays and now I find that I'm swamped with guilt over having been so faithless. I've tried to assuage my feelings by reading the blog that Grey's writers have going, and that has helped some, but mostly it has made me miss those characters like crazy. "Big Love" is very, very interesting. I don't LOVE it, because the nature of the belief system, which began as a polygamous endeavor, makes me feel pretty skeezy anyway. I know it's just television, but it's television based on something very real and awful. It's like a train wreck orchestrated by a seemingly innocuous conductor (Bill Paxton), but the lines that come out of his mouth make me feel all weird and conflicted. It's fascinating and disturbing. And. I. Cannot. Look. Away.

Fortunately, Mr. Half saw my distress and so part of my birthday gift was a big box of TiVo!! (In addition to my new XM Satellite Radio) Problem solved! I can now return to my regularly scheduled programming.

And for the record? If forced to choose (for you guys...this is like the "Gilligan's Island" Ginger or Mary Ann" question), I'm afraid I'd pick George over McDreamy. Okay...I'm not an idiot. I wouldn't object to one night with McDreamy. But I saw Patrick Dempsey's interview with Barbara Walters and he confessed to using Botox and...uh...that bothered me a little. Don't ask me why. Anyway...now matter how gorgeous, his character can't make up his mind and that chaps me. George, however, is just all there and totally wonderful. Who couldn't love a face like that? McDreamy for a night, but George for a lifetime.

Uh...just pretending, Mr. Half.

18 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Any guy who uses Botox is just a little too high maintenance for me.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I say Dr. Burke for a night and a lifetime. Growl.
I agree about the Botox - it's like the 21st century equivalent of lifts in the shoes.

4:54 PM  
Blogger daysgoby said...

McDreamy is awful pretty. George is just one of those guys you want to cuddle. And his character is much, MUCH more likeable.

Quit waffling, McD.

Hope your birthday was a terrific one!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I don't watch either show, but I do concur that Botox use in men is a major turn-off. Vain much, Mr. Dempsey?

7:26 PM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

Big box of TiVo? Perfect! Sip the Kool Aid...life will never be the same again :-)

6:27 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

TiVo!! I'm so jealous, been wanting it...Yea, he was really weird on that Bawa interview. I just try to put it out of my mind and watch him anyway. Can't get into George. Totally not believable to me that he is a doctor. Drs. have more self confidence than any other humans so why does George have none??

8:17 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I have this issue about Tivo. Like it will make me look stupid. Like I am admitting that I watch THAT much t.v.

McD and Botox. Ewwwww! For that he would only get one wild night with me.

8:22 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Please don't take my Tivo comments the wrong way. I'm sure we will jump on the Tivo train soon enough.

Its like most trends, I am the last one to jump on board.

And I'm a cheapskate.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

In a perfect world we could splice McDreamy's face with George's wonderful personality. Last night was a rerun and oddly it happened to be the one episode I missed last season.

Hello, my name is Tink and I'm a GA addict.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

I feel the same way about Big Love. I do find it interesting that the writers don't seem to be holding back on their exposure of the dark side and criminal activities of the extreme sects, but I also wonder if that is the point.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Bah - I got nothing against Botox, I mean, hell, the reason I like him is because he looks good - I use make up to hide certain flaws, he uses more expensive measures. I'm good with it.

Besides, it's not my dime. :D

3:20 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

What I wanted to add on is... where do you think he used it? *heh*

3:20 PM  
Blogger reading said...

The Tivo will change your life. In a couple of days you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Embrace the Tivo!

Botox? Really? I've lost a little respect for Mr. Dempsey. I've only started watching GA recently and primarily for Denny the Dying Heart Patient. Because he also plays Daddy Winchester on the show with the best looking boys on television - Jensen Ackles and Jared Padelecki. Mmmmm. Pretty.

Happy belated birthday!

8:11 PM  
Blogger theyellowwallpaper said...

I saw that interview with Babs as well and found it difficult to watch. He was really boring and a little self centered, a turn off. I much prefer George Cloony's wit and insight.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous jess said...

I'm so jealous, no tivo here in canadaland. But sunday night runs in order sopranos, big love, grey's anatomy.

But, watching those three shows in a row leaves me feeling weird and fidgety.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

I like Bobby Sherman...

11:07 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Funny, I'd go for bad boy Sawyer over good boy Jack on Lost, but on Grey's Anatomy I'd definately pick George over McDreamey. Maybe I should see a therapist?

2:04 PM  
Blogger DJ Caterina said...

I really did used to like Patrick Dempsey until I read this unfortunate Botox fact. This is example no. 792 that all of the real men truly don't exist anymore....oh, except for my boyfriend.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home