Thursday, March 30, 2006

Stuff to look at


*If you're a victim of insomnia, here are two interesting websites that allow you to watch other people who also happen to be awake:

1) Streaming videos of people getting married by an Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas. Check out their archives. Very interesting. Saturday nights are especially wild.

2) Streaming video of people in Times Square. I don't know why I find it comforting to watch people browse for souvenir postcards and hail taxis...but I do.

*My nominee for March's Perfect Post Award goes to Rude Cactus and his March 28th post entitled "How Bobby Ewing Changed My Life". Check it out and get a laugh.

*I've been asked to be Melanhead's "Person of the Week" for next week (I think it'll be next week). It's a shameless attempt at self-promotion, but would it kill you to check it out when it goes up?

*I'm loving my new satellite radio. I listen to Air America and then zip over to a comedy channel. Then I can hear jazz or something retro from the all 60s station. Recently, I've been stuck on the All 70s station and just finished listening to Neil Young and some old Midnight Oil.

* Every year in our city, Radio Shack Corporation (headquartered here) presents all public high school students with a GPA of 4.0 or higher with the Radio Shack Scholar Award and a banquet, which gets held later next month. Both our older sons are recipients and today was the day of the group photo that will go in a book with all of the other schools' group photos. Students are supposed to dress up and every year I've managed to remind our boys to wear Dockers and a polo for this picture. Until this year.

We totally forgot about today's photo shoot.

One saving grace is that our high school is the largest in the city (3000-plus students) and every year the majority of the RS scholars come from our school. While most public schools in this city (there are 15 that participate) require only one page of the commemorative booklet to picture all of their awardees, our school require four pages. One for freshman, one for sophomores, etc. What this means is that there will hopefully be so many people crowded into each photo that it's likely no one will see that our sophomore wore a Texas Rangers t-shirt. Or that our junior wore a dark shirt declaring, "Let me drop everything to work on your problem" in stark white lettering. Or the guy standing next to our sophomore whose shirt simply said, "I SEE DRUNK PEOPLE" .

I know his parents are so proud.

21 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Wow, how proud must you be! The honor, of course, but also that your sons have pretty good taste in t-shirts.

I'm having sympathy queasiness for that other child's poor mother.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Hopefully the pictures will be small enough that folks will only note that they are, in fact, wearing shirts. Beyond that, it's unimportant. They should be very proud of their academic acheivements, regardless of their fashion sense.

8:51 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

I'm with Annie. Who cares what they're wearing? It's why they're in the photo that counts.

My best friend got married in Vegas by an Elvis impersonator and I watched it live via the Internet.

5:13 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I do care what they are wearing. Of course, I did the same thing this year and forgot about school pictures so I have a picture of David wearing an old hand-me-down t-shirt and hair that looks like he waited in a wind tunnel (I know I combed his hair that day!).

That's so funny.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

Thanks for the mention ;-)

5:33 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Is satyellite radio better than the music on digital cable?

5:59 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Congrats to yuor sons!

6:00 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Congratulations!

I have to admit, I really love the "Let me drop everything and work on your problem" shirt.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

Congratulations! And thanks for the insomniac links. I can definitely use them.

Which satellite radio do you have? Based on the channels you mentioned I'm guessing XM. We have Sirius and it is the best electronic gadget we have ever owned. I can't tell you how much I love the Jazz, NPR and singer/songwriter stations.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I don't NEED another addiction!Dang you woman for the cool "insomnia" links. Congrats on your sons AND your nomination. Way to end March on a good note. ;)

8:45 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Is the drunk people shirt kid also the one with no eyebrows? That would be awesome.

Melanhead - nice pick!!

My friends and I at my old job used to obsessively watch the streaming video from a DMV in Anchorage. In fact, even mentioning it makes me need to go check it out again. Voyeurism is the new black.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous LetterB said...

Satellite radio is so cool - we've had it in rental cars but now that we own one again I reeeally want to get it. I am afraid it will affect my driving though, since I compulsively change channels whenever given the chance.

Congrats to your boys! That's amazing.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Cute post at Rude Cactus. Thanks for playing!

I've been looking at live webcam pictures of Purgatory. Wishful thinking. They just got two feet of snow and only one person was on the high-speed lift when I checked yesterday. *sigh*

11:45 AM  
Anonymous sweatpantsmom said...

The Vegas cam is great. I'm a little afraid, though, that I'll inadvertently see my 80 year old aunt marrying a 25 year old carnie or something like that.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Daxohol said...

mmmmm...yummy linkage! Thanks!!

7:03 PM  
Blogger The Queen Mama said...

When I was in high school, I had two shirts with sayings on them that I wore way too often:

"Objects under this T-shirt are larger than they appear"

and "Penguin Lust" with drawing of Opus from "Bloom County." I still miss that shirt. God, I thought I was so cool.

8:35 PM  
Blogger CISSY said...

Ah, but those photos will be wonderful to look at and laugh at in later years. Can you imagine what your child's own children will say when they see it?

Since I'm a dedicated insomniac (note the late hour and I have to be up in five hours!) I love those links. The one of New York strangely enough makes me feel "homesick." I'll explain that in a later post. Thanks for the laugh. As always, a great post.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Hänni said...

Congrats about your sons and lol@ the tshirts.

Btw you're up at melanhead today.

8:50 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I got all excited a few minutes ago when it looked like your Bush countdown had stopped counting (What happened? Did Cheney take him on a hunting trip?). I tried to leave a comment about it, but couldn't click on the comment screen. Turns out it was only a browser problem.

*Sigh*

Once again, I get my hopes up only to have them dashed to the ground...

1:49 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I love it...wacky t-shirts and all. Congrats to all!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Nilbo said...

"I see drunk people. They're walking around, just like you and me. Some of them don't even know they're drunk."

That made me laugh out loud. I so want that T-shirt, only replacing the word "drunk" with "stupid".

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home