Thursday, April 27, 2006

"...and then everything just went flukey"

(For the uninitiated, the title of this post is a line from an "I Love Lucy" episode where Tennesse Ernie Ford comes to stay and his backwater way of speaking adds a delightful spice to the dialogue. Next time you hear me say, "Cock your pistols, 'cause you aint gonna believe this no how!", you'll know where it came from.)
*****
This is the week that should never have been. I'm totally serious here. I've been about 24 hours behind--or ahead--of schedule all week long. I feel as though I've only recently emerged from a coma and am merely a visitor--a tourist--in my own life. There's no excuse for this kind of confusion and though I feel that it's safe to rule out early onset Alzheimers at this juncture I still can't figure out why I'm so mixed up about where I'm supposed to be and what I'm supposed to be doing there.

I use a calendar. I save memos that remind me about meetings or events which require my presence. I have sticky notes pasted on my dresser mirror and I check my e-mail several times a day so that I stay in communication with folks in the outside world. However, I have been listening quite a bit to the '70s station on satellite radio and there was that time I accidentally listened to that Milli Vanilli song without meaning to. Maybe it screwed with my hard wiring in some way.

All I know is that I showed up on Tuesday (with middle sister in tow) for yet another funeral at the wrong location and time. Yes, we read the obituary...but we drove to the wrong side of town in spite of that and got there 30 minutes early. That's just how we roll.

I shopped for and began preparing dinner for an ill neighbor and I was ready to deliver said meal a day earlier than I was scheduled to do so. Yesterday I tried to leave for a hair appointment that wasn't supposed to take place until today. This morning, I realized that the high school theater awards dinner we were supposed to attend with the oldest son isn't until tomorrow night. I've had it written down for tonight and it's been that way on my calendar for two weeks.

My calendar tells me that I'm scheduled to work on a Habitat for Humanity house tomorrow...all day. I hope that's still true. If you see me wandering around the mall wearing a toolbelt and carrying a framing hammer, please call the authorities. Thank you.

17 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

If that ends up being the case bring that toolbelt over here. I'll make Pina Coladas and we'll work on my house. Or maybe I'll JUST make Pina Coladas... ;)

7:42 AM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

Wow. Hope your scheduled is back on track! How frustrating!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous jess said...

I feel that way all the time! Then i hope that people don't notice and think i'm a loony bin. Probably too late for that.

Give yourself a good shake like a dog coming out of the water! Might work.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Hello! Can you say "VACATION?"
And hey, conveniently, B-List Blogfest is coming right up...

9:37 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I think the perfect cure for this week would be enjoying a lovely margarita in a nice warm bath with a good book and no scheduled appointments. Good for you for doing Habitat for Humanity - they do amazing work!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Shrinking Violet said...

I got your back, girl. Will keep eyes peeled for you. Will return you to rightful owner.

2:01 PM  
Blogger aka Brandi said...

Holy Crap! You mean walking around like that's not Normal?

I do it all the time. My girlfriend, Annie, says it's all part of my charm.

Which I think may be code for Annoyingly Flighty.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Whoa. When it rains it pours. Hang in there, girl.

7:12 PM  
Blogger CISSY said...

Keep your chin up and tool belt on. We've all been there. I once went into a class - unfortunately the small lab portion of a class - grabbed a seat, noticed people looking at me suspiciously and realized that MY class was an hour later. At least you're there for the important things. Hmmm. Pina Coladas...hadn't had one of those in ages.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Some time periods just seem to be like this. I've been feeling chronically behind and overbooked for the past few weeks. I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope things get better soon.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous V-Grrrl said...

If we see you wandering around in your pajamas in the middle of the day, we'll hand you a good book, take you home, and tuck you in.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

maybe you're missing HALF YOUR BRAIN like me today!

11:19 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Hey, its better than being late.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

If you find your way out towards me and your wearing a toolbelt, I'm putting you to work before I send you back! ;-)

Hope the weather held out for you to do the Habitat project. We are getting slammed right now with rain!

12:47 PM  
Anonymous HolyMama! said...

i hate it when i get my schedule all mixed up like that! hope you had a great day blessing others at that H for H thing! (that is so totally COOL of you)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Ben Dolan said...

This happened to me the other day regarding the due date of a lengthy research paper.

Just because I found out it was in 5 days instead of 15 didn't stop my procrastination though. You really just got to laugh and realize that it is everyone else's fault that you are mixed up.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

In keeping with the title and theme of this post, I have tried to get a comment up here three times now. Between crappy blogger and our crappy virus that killed our laptop, I haven't had any luck at all.

I hope you had a better weekend and I hope things are evening out for you a bit. Also, Mignon is right, a B-list vacation is just the thing.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home