Thursday, April 13, 2006

Birthday Wishes...and a meme


Sixteen (16!!!) years ago Saturday I became a mom for the second time inside of a 13 month span. Tucker (Pictured at top on the left with his brother Greyson who turned 17 last month) was our only "surprise" baby out of the three we have. It was Tax Day and Easter morning on the day he made us a family of four.

He was the biggest (9 lbs), but labor with him was the shortest and the easiest. The only one to come on his own without an induction, he was a very easy baby. He played hard. He slept easily. He ate with gusto and he had a deep and hearty chuckle. Sixteen years later he's still a sweet and thoughtful kid who is a fabulous student and great athlete. I wish all of life's surprises could be as wonderful has he turned out to be for us. Happy Birthday, sweetie.

And now for the meme:

FOUR THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY:
1) A new writing project or art project.
2) Feeling useful on a collaborative effort that serves the greater good.
3) When the lives of my kids and Mr. Half are going well and I know they feel confident and happy and productive.
4) Physical activity

FOUR THINGS I'M AFRAID OF:

1) Losing any of my kids or Mr. Half before I'm ready to leave this planet (or watching them suffer in any way)
2) Any misstep in life that will cause me deep regret later.
3) Dying without achieving my greater purpose or using the skills that I have.
4) Gaining weight.

FOUR MOVIES THAT MAKE ME LAUGH NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I SEE THEM:

1) Animal House ("Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?")
2) Young Frankenstein ("Some Ovaltine, perhaps?")
3) Tommy Boy (What about this isn't funny?)
4) Uncle Buck ("This hat...it angers people")
5) Blazing Saddles ...that's five...oops! ("My real name is Jim, but my friends call me.....Jim")

FOUR THINGS I HATE:

1) Cruelty or Injustice ("Might does not make right")
2) Anyone who excuses intolerance, racism, sexism, Facism, or a breech in ethics or is guilty of one of the above and then calls it Patriotism or Faith in God.
3) Passive-aggression.
4) Being controlled.

FOUR ITEMS OF CLOTHING I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT:

1) overalls
2) my good black skirt
3) champagne-colored, silk Chinese robe that Mr. Half bought for me on Canal Street in NYC.
4) hiking boots

Have a good weekend.


16 Comments:

Blogger Mom101 said...

How is it that I have never come across your blog before? I mean, the four things you hate? I could have written those. And Animal House AND Young Frankenstein? You just might be my soulmate if you had swapped Princess Bride for Uncle Buck. No one had better tag me for this meme because I'd just provide a link over here.

4:58 PM  
Blogger theyellowwallpaper said...

My husband’s nickname from college was actually derived from Animal House. I can't type for fear of betraying his confidence. But suffice to say it is one of our favs as well.

I've only started out on this motherhood trip and can't fathom having a 16, or 17 year old for that matter. Wow. I would imagine it's been a VERY fast, but amazing journey.

6:27 PM  
Blogger The Queen Mama said...

I could watch "Young Frankenstein" over and over again.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Ben Dolan said...

Three of the four things you fear are things I totally agree with.

But c'mon. Losing the kids? Isn't that every mom's dream of that perfect silence?

Well, when my brother and I moved out and my dad began working in Africa, our house got completely silent and she wasn't doing so hot.

Then she got a puppy that barks every 9 seconds and everything is back to normal.

So maybe I can agree with all four.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Irene said...

oh happy, happy birthday!

1:28 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

Happy Birthday to Tucker! You have a truly beautiful family, WordGirl.

And your meme answers were much more noble and thoughtful than mine. Thanks for taking it to the next level.

Have a great weekend.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

What beautiful babies they were! And very lucky kids, to have a Mom like you.

Happy Birthday Tucker.

8:16 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Good Lord! Overalls??

Darling pic of the boys. I loved it when mine had soft curls like that. Gone are those days.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

Wow--I can't even imagine my little ones becoming kindergardeners, much less than 16! Adorable!

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, Son."

10:04 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Your beautiful, beautiful family makes me feel a little weepy. Boys look so snappy in baseball uniforms.

And I agree with teebs. That meme's hard to top.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sarcomical said...

oh my. so cute! then and now. aw.

i think i'm jealous of your robe, it sounds so pretty and probably swishy.

11:31 AM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Happy Birthday to your sweetie. :)

1:13 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

WG - The color of the fonts is difficult to read. I had to highlight the text.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

What do you think your greater purpose is?

5:35 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Happy Bday kisses and hugs to your baby!

Blazing Saddles is hilarious!!

p.s. the blue over on the side there is totally blinding me against the orange background
just sayin.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Daxohol said...

Oh what cuties!!
Happy Belated Birthday to Tucker!
Also! Tommy Boy! I nearly pop blood vessels from watching that movie!!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home