Thursday, April 06, 2006

It's a start, at least


Donald Fagen...then and now.


Okay...you've probably noticed a slight change in background and font color. The problem is not with your television (er.. computer). Do not attempt to adjust your computer screen. This is a test, and it won't be the last time you'll see changes in this blog. I'm forever tinkering with color in my life and this site is no exception. I am determined to eventually do some kind of photographic header. I tried this before and all that resulted was the strange way my title border doesn't quite close off in a neat rectangle. If anyone has the slightest clue as to how I might fix that, please don't hesitate to give me shout. In the meantime, here are some random things about my week:

1) The counter just registered my 100th post since I started this thing near the end of November. Who knew I had so much to say? Well--okay--that's a bit disingenuous. Of course I knew that I had this much to say. I've been suffering from "too much to say" since I first began putting words together as a kid. Why else would I have started a blog? Why am I asking you this?

2) My car has to sit out on the driveway because our house (and the garage that came with it) was started in 1947 and finished in 1948. Cars like Suburbans didn't exist back then and don't fit into old garages. Mr. Half's truck is out there on the driveway along with my car, the 17-year old's car and the almost-16-year old's car, which is presently undergoing surgery at the body repair shop after an unfortunate collision earlier this year.

And because my car is outside, it has to sit under trees. Trees that are spitting sticky sap onto every surface of its exterior. If you took a can of real maple syrup and turned it inside out and gave it four wheels, driving it couldn't be much different from what I've been doing for the past week.

3) I took some of my birthday money and went to Target today, and that's what I'm listening to as I write this. No...not Target...the cd I purchased. I bought some other stuff which I'll write about later, but more importantly, I bought Donald Fagen's new solo cd, "Morph the Cat". Can I just pause here to say how much I love Donald Fagen? Alone or with Walter Becker (the other half of Steely Dan), his jazzy line and succession of minor chords reminds me of sitting in Mr. Half's dorm room in college with the windows open (the kind you had to crank open while they swung outward...it was a very old building) with our bare feet on the cold radiator while we listened to songs from "Countdown to Ecstasy".

4) Saturday night our home will be host to about 20-25 teenagers...mostly 16 and 17-year olds. Oldest son decided to have a get-together for his birthday which always falls on Spring Break. Giant Subway sandwiches. Cookie platters. Bowls of M&Ms and soda. Mr. Half and I will huddle in the back of the house while they take over the rest. I guess I really shouldn't bother cleaning until AFTER it's over. Right? Light a candle for me, will you?

5) I did start a book...finally. One of Canada's finest writers...the late Carol Shields is the author of "Unless", and I've decided to fasten my hopes of reentering the reading world upon its lovely pages. From page one: "Happiness is the lucky pane of glass you carry in your head. It takes all your cunning just to hang on to it, and once it's smashed you have to move into a different sort of life."

6)
I listened to XM radio and the comedy channels today. Wow. You can bring yourself out of just about any funk by listening to various stand-up comedians. Today, I heard a comic issue the following lament: "I'm not a very smart person. If only I had known the difference between an ANTIDOTE and an ANECDOTE, my best friend would still be alive. He was bitten by a copperhead, and I tried reading jokes to him from Reader's Digest, but it didn't help. "

Well...that's all I've got. It's late and I've got more color perversions to perform on my blog design this weekend. Have a good one!

15 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

My dad introduced me to Donald Fagen, I like his stuff.

And if you like, I can light up an entire altar for you, forget just one candle for a houseful of teenagers!

11:02 PM  
Anonymous sweatpantsmom said...

Good luck! I can sympathize - I have seven ten year olds coming over next week for a slumber party. I think vats of alcohol will be in order (for me and my husband, not the girls. Do not call Child Services.)

I put a photo image into my header, but it took me five thousand tries. If you want I can email you the code from my template, and maybe you can just drop in the location of your jpeg file.

11:49 PM  
Blogger R. Robyn said...

When I had XM I always listened to the comedy channel. Surefire way to put anyone in a good mood.

1:47 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Wow, the dude really aged. He was hot when he was young. I know Steely Dan but not him.

Love the joke. Did you know I used to have my own subscription to Reader's Digest from the time I was 15 until I was like 25??? Weird.

I do everything condensed now.

4:37 AM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

I, for one, am very glad that you have too much to say.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I like this color. It's sunny and bright. It's an optimistic color.

Will be thinking of you during your son's party. Perhaps it might be fun for Mom and Dad to book a massage afterwards, as a treat?

6:35 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

I started Unless and couldn't finish it. She wrote it when she was terminally ill with cancer and I like so many of her other books better. I think for me it was just a mental block though.

Our garage has an added on cut out area on one side that was built in the 50's to accomodate cars with long front ends. If it wasn't for that, Jeff's truck would never fit.

Happy 100th post and good luck with the houseful of teenagers!

9:25 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I just realized I'm at post 105. I let my 100th post go by unacknowledged!

Like Mama Tulip, I too am glad you have a lot to say. And when you said you started a book I thought you meant writing one. You should, you know.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I'm at 100 posts too! Aw... Our blogs are celebrating their bloggerdays together.

I love that you have so much to write. That could NEVER be considered a bad thing.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Oh, and happy 100th post!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Determined to do it yourself, huh? I knew you had spunk! i recently started listening to stand-up comic streams on iTunes. Awesome for folding laundry.

(I'd hire a cleaner after a party like that!)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Congratulations on your 100th post. I just passed mine myself. I'm looking forward to the next 100 of yours.

I'll pray for you and your carpet. You might want to mention to the kids that if they are old enough to host a party, they are old enough to clean up after said party.

11:49 AM  
Blogger jess said...

I like the color changes, especially the cranberry-ish color in the titles.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

I have never really cared for Steely Dan but know I should appreciate them. Where should I start?

2:09 PM  
Blogger theyellowwallpaper said...

We have the same issue with our garage, which was built back in the 40's. We ended up using it as a storage 'cuz there is no way my subaru can fit. Bummer.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home