Monday, April 17, 2006

Just really, really tired


I'm feeling a lot like this chair, people. Fried and definitely exhausted. Easter weekend got mashed together with the 16-year-old's birthday and visits with family. Lots and lots of family. Then I find out on Sunday morning that my blog is totally FUBAR and it was only with the help of kindly Dr. Chris Cactus that I was able to salvage 109 post, many of which I had grown rather fond and some of which I was actually proud.

For awhile I suspected that Tom Cruis-azy had summoned his Scientology minions to screw with the inner mechanics of my blog in response to my post of last week, but I've since shaken off that notion. Things are mostly back to normal and I'm very grateful. In the meantime, check out Chris' blog with pictures of his daughter, Mia in her new Easter dress. Warning all females: Simply gazing upon her gorgeosity might cause you to ovulate without meaning to. Take this into consideration before beholding her cherubic face.

In the meantime, I'm trying to rebuild my blogroll (no small feat) and if you were listed on it before you'll most likely be on it again. It'll happen eventually. Remember, patience is a virtue, although impatience has often worked just as well for me.

I wish this post could be more...uh...meaningful. April and May always make me feel as though I'm a fish inside a pitcher of water that's being slowly poured out. I'm clinging to the last little bit of fluid in the pitcher...trying hard not to get spilled out before I'm ready. But I can't seem to keep it from happening. Summer is on the way and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

Very little of the chaos that is enveloping Half House these days has anything to do with me personally, but the stuff that is mine is lost under a big pile of papers that need to be signed or delivered somewhere or filed away. Appointments for check-ups, schedules for next year, AP exams, the youngest son's birthday, Eagle Scout project for the oldest boy, college applications, art supplies ordered for me and lessons devised for cancer camp...the list seems endless. Your life is probably the same...just made up of different ingredients than mine.

What looms ahead a year from now for us is the prospect of the oldest son leaving for college and I would be less than truthful if I said that the anticipation of his absence hasn't cast a dark shadow here. Time seems compelled to move us forward to that point where we load up the car and drive him to some campus where we eventually return without him. Lately, Mr. Half and I see little boys running around and we're immediately reminded of when ours were small. If you look up the term "bittersweet" in the dictionary, I'm sure you'll find a picture of parents waving goodbye to each tiny moment of their kids' lives that won't come back again.

Here's a few of the things I miss already:

"skelescope" (telescope)
"swiss" (kiss)
"I'm giving up gum and candy for Mardis Gras" (Lent)
"fink you" (thank you)
"shanks" (thanks)
"eddybuddy" (everybody)
"do-see-do" (grocery store)
"peckerworker" (woodpecker)
"I'm pine" (fine)
"fruit throw-ups" (fruit roll-ups)
"pee-wee yogurt" (kiwi yogurt)

14 Comments:

Blogger R. Robyn said...

Great fish analogy. I get depressed this time of year, while others are depressed during winter. I want to own the beautiful days that just outside that wall, but I only get to rent a few hours at a time.

4:41 AM  
Anonymous V-Grrrl said...

You've got a lot of work on your plate--both emotional and physical.

One of my favorite kid-isms:

Opening the front door to the famous man in Brown holding a package and a clipboard and hearing my son excalim to his sister: "Oh look!!!! It's Mr. P.U.S.!"

4:53 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

That pitcher analogy is so right on. Hang in there!

You may be missing out on the kid's stuff for a few years, but take advantage of a bit of freedom, do some fun vacations and enjoy yourself and then wait for the grandkids :o)

6:47 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I'm so glad your blog is back together again, safe and sound.

My family's kid-isms:

Mazageen: Magazine
Pinny-Da-Who: Winnie The Pooh
F*ck: Frog

8:43 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

One right now is:

Tug o' wug- tug of war

Hang in there!

9:06 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I would have had to been pointing out the bird one all the time. Just to laugh my head off.

Our oldest used to call my husband (when I first met him) Co-wee and we still laugh about it today. Now he calls him Dad. Maybe cuz that was easier.

My oldest has elected to go to basic training in Georgia (he will remain in college for 3 more years) for the Army and leaves in 2 weeks for the ENTIRE summer. I'm not handling that well.

9:09 AM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

So glad that your blog is back...that was wacky.

I *love* peckerworker and fruit throw ups. They're all great but those are my faves. Reminds me of when my younger brother used to call scrambled eggs 'grambo died'.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Nap Queen said...

I'm sorry your blog got skeeee-rewed. That sucks so bad. Glad it's back now!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

These kid-words are very sweet. :)

I don't know what it's like to have a college-aged child, but I would imagine that, though bittersweet, it will also open up many new wonderful possibilities for your relationship with your son! You're probably in for some really fun, interesting dinnertime conversations when he's home on break.

So glad your blog is back!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I already am afraid of/terribly excited for the first to go off to college. I wonder if I'll want her close? Jim and I decided we'll force her to go somewhere warm, you know, so we're comfy when we go to parents' weekend and such.

You said AP test and I involuntarily shuddered.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

Thanks for the kind words ;-)

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Arwen said...

I found you by way of Sarcastic Journalist and have been reading for a while.

Hope you get recharged soon, but fear not, this post was plenty beautiful and meaningful. My sprog is 3, and although there are days when people say, "Oh, it'll be over before you know it," and I reply, "Lordy, here's hoping so," it's the stuff of your post that I'm drenching myself in the other 95 percent of the time. (In our house, a reference to the Supreme Being became the Green Bean.)

Lovely, lovely work. Keep it up. :)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Yes I'm feeling like the fish in the pitcher a bit myself these days.

Now let's talk about this new green look...
Feels good to me!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Daxohol said...

I started a "Daxicon" of his lingo. I look back even now and see the amazing changes...and shed a tear for those adorable beginnings...

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home