Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Wednesday Sampler



**Today is April 12th and the world of children's literature is celebrating the 90th birthday of Beverly Cleary on a national level with, "Drop Everything & Read" Day.

For those of you who accidentally catch yourself on fire today, we'll refer to your experience as "Stop, Drop, Roll & Read" Day. Everyone must participate. Be sure to let me know wh
at you chose to read. I am currently engrossed in Allegra Goodman's "Kaaterskill Falls" , though I promise to pick up one of my Cleary books in order to get into the full spirit of the event.

**I went to yoga today and for no apparent reason started thinking about the LifeSaver 5-pack. My mind, it wanders. For the record, my favorite flavor in the 5-pack is pineapple. My favorite LifeSaver flavor of all time? Butter Rum. So...yeah...I was thinking about candy and then it was time to do this:It's easier than it looks. I can't do a layup in basketball. I can't throw a football worth crap. The semester I ran track in college, I lost whole seconds just coming out of the starting block. But I can do this.
**When we were 27, Mr. Half and I went to London to see his brother and SIL. I was already sporting my low-maintenance crewcut and his hair, which was in one of its short phases, was made even shorter by a hasty trip to Super Cuts. I call it his "institutional" look. This was taken in a photo booth near Hampstead Heath. You can file under my first (and possibly last) installment of Bad Hair Wednesday, though I really liked that cut.

**Mr. Half and I are both involved in a pediatric cancer camp that meets every summer. It is a free week-long sleepaway camp for cancer patients 6-16 (and their siblings). We both serve on the camp's board. Mr. Half used to be a counselor before he began his career as the only Boy Scout Assistant Scoutmaster who braids his hair before morning campfire. I'm the art teacher. Aside from raising three healthy, confident sons, this camp has given more to us than we'll ever put into it. One of the many, many perks I get in working with these kids is to take possession of art supply catalogs and magazines from which I get inspiration. I get to plan the activities and order the materials!!! Glass beads? Polymer clay? Tiny canvasses and papier mache' masks? It's crack for the creative soul...plain and simple. And speaking of crack...reading this magazine brings surges of creativity so as to make me slightly dizzy.

**Teebs had some really good thoughts about appreciating what you've got in your life. We all fall victim to the funk of self-pity. Sometimes we deserve to feel that way, but if you stay there too long that's all you'll notice about what you've got. I'm reminded of the late, great Warren Zevon who did the Letterman show in 2003 when it was obvious he had only a few more months before cancer would claim him. What advice and insight did his terminal status allow him to provide for the rest of us? Three words. "Enjoy every sandwich". I think that pretty well sums it up.

14 Comments:

Blogger mama_tulip said...

I looooove the photo booth pics!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Those pics of the two of you are great - love the last one! Butter Rum is also my favorite lifesaver, followed by green (lime??) and then pineapple. You are very flexible and coordinated - impressive!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous TB said...

I'm still engrossed in Allende's A Portrait in Sepia. I've been sneaking out at lunch to read in the sun. Did you finish Unless? I was interested in your take on it.

Favorite Life Saver flavor of all time - Butter Mint followed closely by Butter Rum.

And you guys look so deliciously 80s in those pictures. I think I like the middle (serious) one the best.

Thanks for the link, I was amazed at how I was able to change my perspective, I wish I could remember to do it more often.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Daxohol said...

Oh, such wonderful work you do for those kids! Hats off to you love...cheers!

Since the little dude has been learning to "paste" my heart has been recaptured arts crafts again.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I have begun reading "Freakonomics." Yes, I am a little late, but hey, it's something. So far the book is making me mad.

Agreed that the pics are so fab.

Now, off to eat my turkey and swiss!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous jess said...

So many things to say!

In the five flavour sampler i liked to chew all five at once.

For me that pose was deceptively easy too, but not many others!

I need a kick in the behind re: self pity - so thanks.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Nilbo said...

I've been reading two books (I always have two on the go at a time). One is P.J. O'Roarke's "All The Trouble In the World". I enjoy his writing much more than his politics - he gives superb snark.

The other book on the go right now is "The World According to Mimi SmartyPants". It's a lot of her early columns, pre-baby, and I just love the way that woman can turn a phrase.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous sarcastic journalist said...

I've always wanted to do a cancer camp. Also, bc is 90????

8:35 PM  
Blogger gypsy said...

Hey -- it's gypsy from "And I did it Anyway"...

Just FYI -- I did not grow up in Lawrence. That post refers to the armpit known as Eldorado KS.

I can't think of a better place to raise kids than Lawrence, KS! Your friends are safe with us.

6:20 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I like that. Enjoy every sandwich. Hmmm, makes me hungry right now.

I'm thinking I like you much better with long hair. That was some serious 80's stylin' goin' on.

This is from someone who actually sported a mullet at one point. It was a mistake and I'm very sorry.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

My kids and I are reading Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - The Reptile Room. And I'm also reading Frank McCourt's Teacher Man and a book called Haunted Teachers which my eight-year-old is DYING for me to finish so we can, like, talk about it.

Love your blog's new look and AND your hair in the photo both pic AND the very cool work you are doing at cancer camp.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous sweatpantsmom said...

Great post. I'm a sucker for art supply catalogs too. If you're ever in L.A. you have to visit World Art Supply. You'll be licking the shelves.

And thanks for reminding me to 'enjoy every sandwich.' Love that, and needed it!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Yeah, you guys look like some famous literary couple in that photo booth. Or maybe it's just that he reminds me of James Taylor from the 'Hospital'.

You don't know how freakin impressed I am with that yoga pose. Crazy impressed. And also impressed that you're tinkering - even though I can barely read it (is that because I'm on Safari?). You go!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Nap Queen said...

Okay, you're freaking me out. My favorite lifesaver are pineapple and butter rum, in that order. I don't know anyone else who likes pineapple first! Don't you wish they would make an all pineapple roll?

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home