Monday, May 01, 2006

Celebrity Trivia that involves someone besides Ms.Lohan, the Federlines or Paris Hilton.

WARNING: THE POST BELOW REQUIRES AN EXTENSIVE KNOWLEGE OF TVLAND-ERA TELEVISION AS WELL AS WRITERS AND REALLY OLD ACTORS WHO HAVE BEEN DEAD FOR A VERY LONG TIME. I'M JUST SAYIN'


1. Desi Arnaz' (husband of Lucille Ball for those of you just emerging from a long coma) father was the mayor of Santiago, Cuba. Ventura Boulevard in California was named after Arnaz' great-great grandmother. One of his grandfathers was a co-founder of Bacardi Rum. The other was the doctor assigned to Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders after their ride up San Juan Hill.

2. The father of actor Wallace "Inconceivable!" Shawn ("The Princess Bride" and "My Dinner with Andre") was William Shawn. The elder Shawn took over the editorship of The New Yorker Magazine when it's creator and first editor, Harold Ross, died unexpectedly.

3. John Pankow (Ira Buchman on the sitcom "Mad About You") is the younger brother of musician, James Pankow...trombonist extraordinaire for the legendary group, "Chicago".

4. Actress Tyne Daly and her brother, actor Tim Daly are the grandchildren of the late Chief Justice Earl Warren who, among other things, was the name behind the Warren Commission which investigated the death of President John F. Kennedy.



5. "New Yorker" writer, humorist and lifelong Caucasian, Dorothy Parker ("Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses") made provisions to be cremated upon her death. Her ashes are scattered at the headquarters of the NAACP.


6. Children's book illustrator Louis Darling ("Ramona the Pest") was, along with his artist-wife Lois, a nature illustrator of some renown. Both of them were the artists/illustrators for Rachel Carson's landmark and very controversial book on environmentalism, " Silent Spring".

7. Actor Paul Giamatti ("Sideways") and his brother Marcus ("Judging Amy) have a famous father... former baseball commissioner, Bart Giamatti.

8. The Tin Woodman's (Jack Haley) son married Dorothy's ( Judy Garland) daughter when nutcase, Liza Minelli married her only straight husband, Jack Haley, Jr.

9. The coat worn by Frank Morgan when he played Professor Marvel in "The Wizard of Oz" actually belonged to the writer of the OZ books, L.Frank Baum. During filming, Morgan turned the pockets of the coat inside out to dry the sweat and they saw the tag advertising for whom the coat, purchased from a used-clothing emporium, had originally been made. A call to the widow of Baum confirmed that the coat had indeed been his.

10. Parts of the unburned Atlanta set used in the movie "Gone With the Wind" were used to depict downtown Mayberry during all seasons of the classic "Andy Griffith Show".

I've got a few more, but I seem to be dating myself with some of these older facts....so that's all for now.

19 Comments:

Blogger Mignon said...

Bizarre, bizarre, bizarre. The telling and the knowing.

John Pankow's forehead took up at least half the page and may have blinded me in my left eye. Dude, seek razor, now!

9:05 PM  
Blogger R. Robyn said...

Interesting stuff! If ventura Boulevard was named for Arnaz's relative, how about the town?

12:15 AM  
Blogger Nilbo said...

Lov4e love LOVE this kind of stuff. My brain is a repository for useless facts, and these little tidbits will get neatly filed away. Well, OK, they'll get tossed on the big-ass pile.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Cool! Now I'll look wicked smart at the next cocktail party I go to with all this trivia, all thanks to you. :)

4:57 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Wow. The one about Frank Baum's jacket is freaky!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

These are terrific! I, for one, would love to hear more!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

I didn't realize that was the same Pankow. Interesting.

7:54 AM  
Anonymous average blogger said...

Squee! Dorothy Parker was my hero! You know, until I couldn't keep up with the dissipated lifestyle anymore because the darn baby bottles took up every inch of kitchen space and squeezed out the ones with the bourbon. :)

8:04 AM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Oh, cool. You should post more of these.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I love useless trivia. I like using it on drunk people. They'll think you're a God all night. "Wow... You're so smart n' stuff!"

8:43 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

You mentioned some of my faves. Wizard, GWTW, Wallace Shawn - love him!

Thanks for sharing the trivia. Some days this is all my mind can process.

Hope you're doing well Wordgirl!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Not bad.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Where do you learn all this?
Tell us more!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Where do you learn all this?
Tell us more!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this sort of worthless trash. Awesome post!

~Jenny
http://blogs.chron.com/mamadrama/

3:29 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

June Cleaver and I are totally recruiting you for the next trivia night! GAME ON!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

EXTENSIVE KNOWLEGE OF TVLAND-ERA TELEVISION AS WELL AS WRITERS AND REALLY OLD ACTORS.

Who sent you my resume and why are you publishing it here?

I used to live near Wally Shawn in Greenwich Village and see him around. Better sighting than Uma/Ethan as far as I am concerned. I mean, the "inconceivable" guy? C'mon!

And like avg blogger, Ms Parker is my literary hero. Every time I read her I want to cut my wrists off and never write again. But then I figure, if I'm just on this earth to make her seem more clever, I'm okay with that.

4:30 PM  
Blogger toyfoto said...

I love Wallace Shawn ... and I had NO IDEA of the Daly - Warren connection. SO COOL.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

And the burned section of Atlanta in "Gone with the Wind" included the sets of "King Kong" and The "Garden of Allah."

I didn't know about the Daly-Warren connection either. I just remember their father, James Daly, on "Medical Center."

Fun stuff!

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home