Tuesday, June 06, 2006

In Retrospect








How to articulate flying to another coast to live, eat, drink and talk with four other women for a long-ish weekend? Such events are rare in my world...especially the female part. Living with so many males I've mostly convinced myself that I don't really get along all that well with other women. That I have nothing to say to them and no time to listen, though neither is remotely true.

Rarer still is the opportunity to commune with people whose deepest thoughts reside at the tip of your own brain because you read their words every day, yet you've never heard the sound of their voices. Pictures posted on a blog are not the same as a living, breathing person ordering filet mignon and wine in front of you...or the same person waiting patiently while you look for just the right souvenir t-shirt for your pickiest kid. Savannah's residents are fiercely proud of the city's history and completely embrace the possibility of ghosts...both friendly and otherwise. Here...age has great value (whether exemplified by buildings or people)...so I felt completely at home as I was the oldest person in our group by quite a stretch. I felt accepted, despite my obvious issues with getting...uh...older. And if that little detail about me hasn't become patently obvious to you by now, you probably haven't been around here long. But now that I've shared it with four other people and no one threw up or offered to find me a wheelchair, I'll come clean about an issue I've been deliberately vague about since I started this blog. I'm 47. There, I said it.
Teebs (Tammie) is such a warm person. Quiet...yes...but not because she has nothing to say. I forget who said she had gorgeous skin, but it's true and she has eyes that are like dark gingersnaps. And the hair...with such a curl that I could never coax from my own. She is a person who is open to all possibilities and so having a conversation with her is easygoing and stimulating at the same time. As we sat having a beer together and talking I felt that this was a woman I had known my entire life. And God...the woman is organized!
Sorry this is so blurry...her feet are so pretty!
Mrs. Harridan describes herself as an acid-tongued virago and while it's true that this is one women who won't take crap from anyone, she is a compassionate person with a deep well of emotions that your average virago--unlike Mrs. H-- would rather keep hidden. She is funny and quick and original...and she has lovely red hair and she's thin enough to wear these cool, skinny pants that I would kill to fit into. Jealous? You bet!

Arabella's voice is soft and deliberate. There is a zen quality to the way she speaks and I don't think I ever heard her raise her voice the entire time. All of these women have amazing skin and Arabella's is a very light olive that goes well with a dark mane of hair. She is smart and she looks like a very petite dancer who happens also to be blessed with a good brain. I also hear she can kick ass at the airport when flight information isn't announced the right way and certain people's flights get screwed with.

Mignon's hair reminds me of mine when, years ago, I decided to cut it off and let it stand up on its own. It's very symbolic of the person independent person she is. She is a free spirit with an open heart and a willingness to be silly. She is kind and smart and she doesn't mind making crazy faces for the camera. One minute she's clowning and the next she's on the phone comforting one of her small children at home. She has good ideas and plans for her life and she's always ready to see what's around the corner.
I can't wait for next year's Blogfest...honestly. I know the numbers started out much larger when the idea was first suggested and as finances, schedules, family and geography got the better of them we were still able to create a "Fest" with a just the right amount of people. It only takes one person to make a Blog. How many people does it take to make it a Fest? Five.
Five is the perfect number.

14 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Lum said...

you have such a way with words, wordgirl!
what a lovely trip...it's quite an experience to actually meet your closest blogger friends in the flesh.
p.s. 47? never could tell from your pic. you look fab!

5:25 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Awesome. Just...awesome.

7:11 PM  
Blogger TB said...

That was really just lovely and beautifully written. And I love that you got everyone's feet.

What ya'll need to know about Wordgirl is that she is an amazing philanthropist and whip smart. She only has 12 years of life experience on me, but it may as well be 50. (And she looks more like she's 30)

I'm so glad I got to meet you and the others and I feel sad that I can't just call you for a glass of wine and some kick ass conversation after work whenever the mood strikes.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Nilbo said...

Personally, I think you look 47. And anybody who thinks that's a bad thing can step right up and receive my undivided attention.

What I loved here were the sensitive, insightful, thoughtful, and oddly complete descriptions of these people. I really feel like I know them now. And the decision to include the tootsie pics? Brilliantly creative.

I love coming here.

And hey, 47? Yeah, hawt.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I'm so glad you had a bit of an estrogen infusion- and enjoyed it!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

47? If it looks that good, bring it on!
You all sound like amazing women.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Wordgirl, after meeting you, I can't wait until I turn 47. You're smart and beautiful and mature and youthful all rolled into one. And your bod rocks.

Thank you for such a lovely description.

5:52 AM  
Blogger The June Cleaver Diaries said...

Mrs. H dos have pretty feet. Lucky girl!!

What a blast you guys must have had!

10:18 AM  
Blogger LetterB said...

So cool that you all did this! Love the feet.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Funny, Jim and I were just discussing the ages of everyone there, and I had no idea about yours. I was guessing over 40, considering the age of your boys, but I told Jim you didn't look any older than I do. You gotta wear that 47 with pride. You rock 47.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Rock said...

Told you.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Mom / Ma'am / Me said...

What a great post -- I loved your descriptions of everyone and the pictures of their feet! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time. I hope next year I can join you all.

6:40 PM  
Blogger mothergoosemouse said...

What a great synopsis. I'm inspired to read Mrs. H, Arabella, and Mignon now too (I already love TB to pieces).

And you are just beautiful. Wow.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Oh, it sounds like such a lovely time...isn't it cool meeting blogger friends live and in person? :) I would love to join the gang next year...

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home