Friday, June 30, 2006

Just a few things before I go


Okay kids, it's about that time. I'm leaving tomorrow for camp and I won't be back until next Friday and you won't see any posts from me until Sunday. I'm taking my laptop with me and I wish I could post pics from camp, but that's not only a matter of posting pictures of children without parental consent (bad!!) but also a violation of the HIPAA (also bad!!) rules that I am honor-bound to follow, given that this is a medical camp for kids with cancer. It would probably be kosher to link you to the camp's website, but lacking- as I do- the time to ask permission I'm going to err on the side of caution. Before I go...

1) My June Perfect Post Award goes to Nilbo at Truths & Half Truths. Scroll down to the post entitled, "Love Story: Prologue" and then keep reading. He's chronicling the "how we met" story of his parents and it's a series worth reading. Nilbo's a fantastic writer, but the story would be worth knowing even if he wasn't doing the telling, so check it out and give him some love. I'd put the pretty little Perfect Post button here, except that I've forgotten how. I'm such an idiot.

2) You should know that I checked out the new Super Target near downtown the other day and I had a near-religious experience. Clean, quiet, good smells, a fabulous feng shui and the Isaac Mizrahi collection is three times the size of the Target nearest me. Plus, they carry Nick & Nora pajamas!!!! No wonder Mignon at Thought Concoction claims that Target is her boyfriend. Who wouldn't want that?? Unfortunately, she's mistaken on one count. He's mine.

P.S. to June Cleaver who is moving to Canada where there is no Target. Let me say that again for those of you who are now stunned by the incredulousness of that last statement. THERE. IS. NO. TARGET. IN. CANADA. A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E.

Oh, the bitter pill that is this cruel reality...and the sorrow that it brings. Our sympathies are with you as you navigate this lonely road. Everybody...go give her a hug.

3) Rock's ("Rock's Hard Place")been trying really hard to do some navel-gazing and bring more of himself to his blog. He's still claiming that "it's not about him" (writerly content of blogging) and I still think he's wrong. I think people definitely want and accept opinions from a blogger, but I also think they want to know a little bit about the blogger from whom these thoughts originate. Take a minute to go over there and tell him blogging is more than just "what you think"....it's also about "who you are".

No fighting while I'm gone, kiddos. Take your vitamins. Watch both ways before you cross the street. I'm going to attempt to access the wireless system at camp and, at the very least, keep up with everyone. See you next Sunday!!

30 Comments:

Blogger Nilbo said...

Have fun. What you're doing is very much in keeping with what I know of your generous and loving spirit.

And thank you for your kind words. Coming from a writer for whom I have the greatest respect, I feel like I have to earn those compliments now.

We'll all miss you - coming to visit here is a joyous part of my daily routine and I'm already feeling pangs of withdrawal.

Go, have fun, get back safe and sound, and the world will settle back on its axis.

8:04 AM  
Blogger mothergoosemouse said...

Enjoy! I do look forward to hearing about camp when you return.

And I will check in with Rock because I agree with you. That's why I do my Thursday Third Degree - it's an opportunity to get to know my readers better.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

We'll miss you.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I don't know if "Have fun!" is a good sentiment for where you're going... But I still hope you do. By the time you come back I'll be leaving on vacation too. I'll miss you!

10:22 AM  
Blogger The June Cleaver Diaries said...

Can you rub it in a little more about Target??? They don't have them in Canada. And I still have to move there in 3 weeks.

10:33 AM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

Oh June...I was fast and loose with my commentary and I've gone back to edit the blog so that it mentions your situation. My head is still reeling from the Target-less state.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I've only been to target once- but it was worth the trip stateside!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Mom / Ma'am / Me said...

Take care and I will wait patiently for stories of camp.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

Thanks for the plug WG but more importantly you are off to do God's work and be an Angel where many are needed. I know you appreciate your time there greatly. Godspeed.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Have a great trip and enjoy the computer downtime. It's not always such a bad thing, ya know.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Wow. I'm so impressed at your campiness.

And whadaya mean there's no TARGET in CANADA?! Unimaginable! Probably for the best though, as it's a dangerous place for those of us with credit cards...

Have a good week. :)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

Have fun! You shall be missed!

5:19 PM  
Blogger CISSY said...

Have a wonderful life moment. Look forward to the posts describing your experience.

I love downtown Super Targets - my fav is the one in FW.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Jozet said...

Well, I hope you had a great time at camp. I'm sure the kids were thrilled to have you there. You, my dear, are a good egg.

And, uh, is this true? No Target in Canada? Could this possibly outweigh the universal heath converage...hmmmmmmmmm.

3:40 PM  
Blogger lildb said...

have a wonderful time! don't forget the bug repellant.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I think it will be a wonderful experience for you. I am sure the children will appreciate you.

8:03 AM  
Blogger jess said...

Have a great time! No Target in canada...we don't really know what we're missing. I mean, it's just a store right? I picture WalMart.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Sarcomical said...

NO, target is so NOT like walmart. well, maybe it is. but picture a very clean! pretty! walmart with more enticing crap. ;)

anyway, have a good time!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Have a nice time! And oh my goodness, that Target. Nothing bleeds my bank account more.

Looking forward to your return! :)

2:57 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Have fun at camp! That's awesome that you do this and I know those kids are lucky to know you but they probably do as much for you too.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Have you had the pleasure of a Targasm yet dear??

Have a fabulous time!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Have you had the pleasure of a Targasm yet dear??

Have a fabulous time!

6:50 PM  
Blogger The June Cleaver Diaries said...

TARGET IS NOT LIKE WALMART!!! Holy jeepers! I will bring all of you Canadian bloggers back to the states with me for a fieldtrip, so you will understand my plight.

BTW, thanks for the edit, Wordgirl!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Best wishes at camp. My stomach knots a little, thinking about doing something like that. I hate to say that I can think about children being sick only if I don't conjure actual faces for the afflicted. I'm afraid I would be haunted.

Looking forward to your return, Sugarpie.

9:21 PM  
Blogger R. Robyn said...

Enjoy yourself while you are at camp.

And there is NO. TARGET. IN. ITALY. Either.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

We miss you! But we know you're doing good work.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

3. How do you do it? How do I move beyond my opinion, and focus on who I am?

That's a big risk. I don't write as well as you creatives.

And I thought that Rock did put himself into his blog.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I will confirm the lack of Target's in canada. After I wandered around asking "Where's the Target? You have a Walmart but no Target?" I also have a Target Credit card which dazzles each cashier I hand it to....

But no Target. And no Iced coffee. The fates, they are cruel....

9:55 AM  
Blogger Rock said...

Thanks Dan for your back - she just wants more of my feminine side...

10:17 AM  
Blogger marsha_tm said...

Have a great time, and props to you for doing what you do for those children.

Now I'm off to Target, that no-good two-timer.

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home