Friday, June 16, 2006

Summer Fatigue

Photographic Evidence
More of the same

Okay...it (yesterday's) wasn't one of my better posts, but I plead exhaustion coupled with the effects of MSG. Mr. Half and I had a romantic little dinner downtown at PF Changs and by the time we got home my hands, feet and face were puffy. Maybe my brain was puffy, too. So puffy that I did not express myself clearly enough about the fact that I was updating on a previous post regarding neighbors who don't take down their seasonal lawn/house decorations.

In my defense, I did make a reference to the February archives and the post title, but it may have not been quite enough. Some people may have thought I was making a thinly veiled political metaphor (and took offense) and others may have just not understood what I was saying...or why I was saying it. At the time, I didn't have any pictures of my subject, so I had to resort to Google images. This may have only led to further confusion. So...I submit to you exhibits A and B. LAWN DECORATIONS. Nothing more.

***********************
The weekend looms and with that the posting/ commenting traffic plummets quite a bit. Add to that the blogging fatigue that many are feeling along with thoughts about quitting or the hurt/confusion over low comments/visitors, the summer vacations, the plans and preparations to pack up and move to another house or another state, and the presence of children home for the vacation and you have the recipe for big blogger shutdown. I think everyone is feeling it. I hate to see that happen. I may quit Blogger...but I won't quit blogging. How about you?

*********************
Everything on television is a repeat. There's nothing fresh going on out there and NetFlix and Blockbuster are doing a brisk business with all the bored folks out there who are desperate for something to watch. I was looking at an encore broadcast of "The Office" last night and it inspired me to look at the show's website. On it I found Dwight Shrute's "blog". Yeah, it left off in April and won't be updated until the new season, but it's worth a look if you haven't seen it before.

Have a good weekend. I'll update sometime early next week.

18 Comments:

Blogger mothergoosemouse said...

I totally did not get it, which is why I didn't comment. I didn't want to look TOO stupid.

But now that I get it, that was really funny.

The blogging fatigue has not hit me yet. But I've been known to keep talking when no one's listening.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Glad you won't be quitting, 'cause that would really suck for me. I won't quit, either.

I hear ya with the blog fatigue, though. I had next to nothing to say today. I'm sipping coffee as we speak, in an attempt to perk myself up.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

When I read your earlier post, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and stayed mum. I thought you were perhaps talking about a lawn decoration, but you are right in that the accompanying image threw me off a bit.

Now, I have to say this post has given me the giggles.

I expected a drop off when summer hit, but sheesh. And I never had all that many to begin with. It is odd that people take it personally, but I can kind of see why.

But I have always maintained that I would write even if nobody ever read my blog, and that remains the same.

Besides, I amuse myself sometimes when I go back and look at my archives, and that's worth it right there. ;)

1:12 PM  
Blogger toyfoto said...

Have to admit, I wasn't quite following your post but the two images, side by side, are quite hilarious. My office spouse gets all crazy when people leave their decorations (Christmas lights in particular) up too long. It's kind of fun to watch him RANT about it in July.

The blog fatigue hasn't really hit me yet, either. Although last week's Blogger blunders were annoying.
Although, It would be nice to have readers who comment, it's really not about that for me. It's really an easy way to keep a record of things that I would otherwise forget. I tend to be disorganized and this sure is ONE place I can always find it. ... Now if blogger blows up and all this is lost, I might have a breakdown from which I shall not recover.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I got it. I just found you, it would suck if you went away. Please keep on. I write cause I have to sometimes. I wish more people read my stuff, but I'll write regardless. If you haven't watched The Closer, I recommend it. And I think as a wordsmith, you should give Deadwood a look, too. I like how you write.

1:30 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Oh, god. I get it now. I didn't get it yesterday, but forgive me, because I feel like I'm being stabbed in the ear with a hot poker.

Those pictures are absolutely hilarious.

Good god, don't quit blogging. I hear ya on the blog fatigue, but I won't quit blogging.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Mom / Ma'am / Me said...

As you know I'm having the blog fatigue. Taking it day by day, but today I promise I won't quit. ;-)

I think I read your post yesterday, but my brain might be puffy too. But my excuse is Italian, not MSG.

6:19 PM  
Blogger HollowSquirrel said...

yeah, I didn't get it either. But the clouds have parted and I finally see the light...or at least the deflated Uncle Sam.

Are we all on the same BlogFatigue cycle or something, cuz I was feeling it, too, when I saw Amalah's link to mom/ma'am/me-- and then a few others who were feeling the funk. I'm just trying to give myself a break every couple of days.

Have a great weekend. :)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I got it.... not to boast or anything... but I got it the first time around. Maybe I've just seen too many lawn ornaments that are 'taking naps'. I personally don't have any.... but if I drive about 5 miles west... I can find dozens of them on various farmers lawns.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Chag said...

Yeah, I thought you were trying to make a political statement I was too stupid to understand.

But don't quit blogging!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I totally got it because I went back to read the archived post! A house in our neighborhood that is not well taken care of JUST took down a dried out christmas wreath from the front door - stuff like that drives me nuts.
All my network shows have ended but now I have "The Closer" on TNT, "Rescue Me" on Fx, and "Entourage" on HBO to carry me through the summer!
Don't stop blogging - I just found you too and I like your style. I created my own but I don't know where to start!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Ben Dolan said...

I think about quitting all the time. But then I realize that I probably won't. It's usually just me being too lazy to write a semi well-thought-out post for the seven people who will probably actually read the entire thing.

We are in the blogging doldrums - keep rowing.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Definitely you must not stop blogging. I'm suggesting you as the next Dooce to SXSW. But, and I'm just saying, there's a LOT of the world that aren't watching reruns on TV, including me. I know you aren't a sports fan if the Mavericks, the U.S. Open, or the FIFA World Cup haven't given you a reason to live, especially this weekend!

11:56 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I totally remembered your previous post about the skanky neighbors.

Have you been reading my mind? I have thought about quitting. You know why? Because I have been so busy I haven't been able to read everyone's as much, then I feel guilt. Like I don't have enough of that.

I thought it was just me seeing the comments drop off. Good. One less thing for me to feel bad about.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Rest. Drink. Re-hydrate. Play - maybe even some sex.

Return.

Heart you.

5:34 PM  
Blogger aka Brandi said...

Dude. Thanks for clearing that up.

And I ditto the "Don't Stop". We all go through a slump. And I do think summer's the worst.

I stopped once for about 6 months and it just grated on me that I wasn't here talking to my internet friends. Actually, I think I was lonely for everyone. I'm glad to be back but still wonder "why" sometimes.

8:23 PM  
Blogger jess said...

i didn't even realize that traffic would go down in the summer..hmmm. i'll have to check out my stats now.

You have too many beautiful words in your head to quit.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I got it... And I still thought it was disturbing. Evidence A. and B. confirm my feelings. Maybe you guys should have a secret midnight burial for the poor guy.

BTW: Got the B-List package. WWMRD? You rock!! Have a told you that lately?

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home